SOLVED

ActiveX Control freezing

Copper Contributor

I have made a workbook with roughly 250 sheets, each sheet is copy and pasted from a template I made on the first sheet. On the template I have inserted active X control textbox many times. It was working awesome then started freezing. Now wherever I have a textbox theres a small 'x' then it says 'the picture cant be displayed'. I try clicking anywhere else and it just freezes. Whats wrong? Its not a huge file, about 6gb.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by SThrun10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SThrun10 

Working with a large Excel file that contains many sheets and active controls can sometimes lead to performance issues. Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the freezing issue:

1. Check System Resources:
    • Ensure your computer has sufficient resources (RAM, CPU) to handle the large file size.
  2. Reduce the Number of ActiveX Controls:
    • Having a large number of ActiveX controls, especially textboxes, can impact performance. Try reducing the number of controls if possible.
  3. Update Excel:
    • Ensure that your Excel 365 installation is up-to-date. Microsoft frequently releases updates that may address performance issues.
  4. Optimize Your Workbook:
    • Remove any unnecessary formatting, styles, or formulas.
    • Use the "Clear" option to remove excess data or formatting that may not be visible.
    • Check for hidden sheets or objects that are not needed.
  5. Consider Form Controls Instead:
    • If possible, try using Form Controls (e.g., Form Control Textbox) instead of ActiveX controls. Form controls are generally less resource-intensive.
  6. Disable Graphics Acceleration:
    • In Excel options, go to "Advanced" settings, and under the "Display" section, try disabling hardware graphics acceleration.
  7. Check for Circular References:
    • Circular references can cause performance issues. Use the "Formulas" tab, then "Error Checking," to check for circular references.
  8. Use Manual Calculation:
    • Switch to manual calculation mode (Formulas tab -> Calculation Options -> Manual) to prevent constant recalculations.
  9. Try in Safe Mode:
    • Try opening the workbook in Excel Safe Mode (excel.exe /safe). This will disable add-ins and may help identify if an add-in is causing the issue.
  10. Check for Corrupted Sheets or Controls:
    • It's possible that one of the sheets or ActiveX controls is corrupted. Create a copy of the workbook and try removing sheets or controls one by one to identify the problematic one.
  11. Split the Workbook:
    • Consider splitting the workbook into multiple smaller workbooks if feasible.

If the problem persists after trying these suggestions, it may be helpful to contact a trusted IT support in your area for a more in-depth investigation, especially given the large file size and complexity. Additionally, you should consider breaking the data into smaller workbooks or optimizing the workflow to process such a large amount of data more efficiently. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

Thank You so much for the reply! I did try a couple things before it completely froze on me and I accepted fate and deleted it. Started with a whole new approach and it works great. Thanks again! Lesson learned haha

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SThrun10 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@SThrun10 

Working with a large Excel file that contains many sheets and active controls can sometimes lead to performance issues. Here are some suggestions to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the freezing issue:

1. Check System Resources:
    • Ensure your computer has sufficient resources (RAM, CPU) to handle the large file size.
  2. Reduce the Number of ActiveX Controls:
    • Having a large number of ActiveX controls, especially textboxes, can impact performance. Try reducing the number of controls if possible.
  3. Update Excel:
    • Ensure that your Excel 365 installation is up-to-date. Microsoft frequently releases updates that may address performance issues.
  4. Optimize Your Workbook:
    • Remove any unnecessary formatting, styles, or formulas.
    • Use the "Clear" option to remove excess data or formatting that may not be visible.
    • Check for hidden sheets or objects that are not needed.
  5. Consider Form Controls Instead:
    • If possible, try using Form Controls (e.g., Form Control Textbox) instead of ActiveX controls. Form controls are generally less resource-intensive.
  6. Disable Graphics Acceleration:
    • In Excel options, go to "Advanced" settings, and under the "Display" section, try disabling hardware graphics acceleration.
  7. Check for Circular References:
    • Circular references can cause performance issues. Use the "Formulas" tab, then "Error Checking," to check for circular references.
  8. Use Manual Calculation:
    • Switch to manual calculation mode (Formulas tab -> Calculation Options -> Manual) to prevent constant recalculations.
  9. Try in Safe Mode:
    • Try opening the workbook in Excel Safe Mode (excel.exe /safe). This will disable add-ins and may help identify if an add-in is causing the issue.
  10. Check for Corrupted Sheets or Controls:
    • It's possible that one of the sheets or ActiveX controls is corrupted. Create a copy of the workbook and try removing sheets or controls one by one to identify the problematic one.
  11. Split the Workbook:
    • Consider splitting the workbook into multiple smaller workbooks if feasible.

If the problem persists after trying these suggestions, it may be helpful to contact a trusted IT support in your area for a more in-depth investigation, especially given the large file size and complexity. Additionally, you should consider breaking the data into smaller workbooks or optimizing the workflow to process such a large amount of data more efficiently. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post