Issues with Installation Policy "Normal" in Microsoft Edge management service

Brass Contributor

Extensions that are installed on Microsoft Edge via MS Edge Management Service (M365 Admin Center), with installation policy "Normal", are automatically removed when the browser is closed and reinstalled once the browser is opened again.

We have experienced this with MS Editor, which is the only managed extension we use at the moment.

7 Replies

@mandreou Thank you for the feedback!  The team is aware of this issue.  We can follow up once there is more information about the fix.

-Kelly

If I can help in any way by providing some additional info, please let me know. Editor is extremely important for our organization and we want to push the installation using the "Normal" method in order to give the ability for users to disable it when not needed. This will sort out some other issues we are having with 3rd Party WebApps.

@mandreou Hello - I believe the fix for this issue should be available with Microsoft Edge Stable 

Version 115.0.1901.183 which was released today.  Please test and let us know if you are still able to reproduce.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Hi Kelly,
Unfortunately, we don't get the same here, on the same version of Edge. For some reason, even without having an assigned policy from MS Edge Management Service, the extension is redeployed every time the browser is restarted.

@mandreou Hi!  Just to clarify, is this issue reproducing only for the Microsoft Editor extension?  And now the issue occurs even when you manually install the extension and not when it is installed via policy through the MS Edge management service?  

Are you able to test if this issue reproduces on MS Edge Beta Channel Version 116.0.1938.29?  Thanks!

-Kelly

Hi Kelly,
It looks like I can't reproduce this issue on the beta version.
Also, yes we are only facing this with the Editor extension, since it is the only one we ever deployed using the MS Edge Management Service.

@mandreou Hi!  It looks like the latest version resolved the issues for other customers.  I'm not sure if there is any additional step you need to clear the browser out of the "broken" state it appears to still be in.  But it is a good sign that Microsoft Edge Beta does not reproduce the same issues.  

If the issue persists, I recommend reaching out to Support (Support - Microsoft Edge Developer).  They might need to gather logs and other diagnostic data to help investigate your specific case.  Thanks! 

-Kelly