Edge Sync w/ MS 365 Basic and Business Standard

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I noticed that some of my customers with MS 365 Basic and Business Standard plans can sync their MS Edge information, while others can't.  Based in this article, sync only works with plans that include Azure AD Premium P1 and P2, Microsoft 365 Business Premium, and EDU.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-enterprise-sync

Could it be that MS is starting to expand to smaller plans?  Is there an article with details about this?

Thanks...

88 Replies

Following this topic as I have the same issue. My tenant has only Business Basic licenses, so no AIP or AAD P1 on any accounts, wondering if this could be part of the issue. Like you said though, it should now be supported for Business Basic accounts. I have submitted the diagnostic feedback with that TechCommunitySync string, though I note that in my edge://sync-internals/, the disable reason is "User choice, Feature not supported". and then says "DISABLED_BY_ADMIN",  "STOP_SYNC_FOR_DISABLED_ACCOUNT" and "Microsoft Information Protection service is disabled" in the Actionable error section.

All the MS documentation says that I need to enable the AIP service in Azure Portal or 365 Admin centre to enable Edge Enterprise sync, but again, I don't have the AIP service controls with only Business Basic.
Given this looks to be an active topic, hoping to see a fix soon.

Hi @Kelly_Y, I am also unable to activate sync with Business Basic and have sent in feedback as well if that is helpful

@ajfite @mpowelltech Hi!  I've been able to find the feedback you both submitted.  I'll pass along to our developers and let you know what they find.  Have a great weekend! 

-Kelly

I have the same issue and also send feedback with the mentioned description.
I also am an O365 Business Basic customer and cannot get Edge sync working. Have already submitted feedback request.

After either activating Microsoft Endpoint Manager or instituting the Edge GPO files, my environment began doing the same thing. All users suddenly lost sync capabilities. 
After a many days of research I finally installed Microsoft Azure Information Protection Viewer on my admin desktop. Installing and logging in resolved sync on my machine with my account. Soon after I found that Microsoft had provisioned 10,000 Rights Management Adhoc license to our accounts, 1 of those was assigned to my account. 
I pushed that license to all of my users and Sync returned for all of them. 

Hope that helps! 

@MichaelArroyoKM 

I have tried your suggestion and my M365 now has the 10,000 Rights Management Adhoc license and one is assigned to my account but no dice unfortunately. :sad:

Make sure you sign out of Edge and sign back in, enabling sync when you sign in.
Yep, did that. It's starts off saying "setting up sync" and then after about 10-15 seconds goes back to "Sync isn't available for this account"

@ABNOTECHOnline curious if this ever ended up working for you after some time lapsed? Frustrating that MS can't give us a straight answer. Confirmed working on a few more users today for me. 

@MichaelArroyoKM @Kelly_Y 

Sorry, I got impatient and started a EMS E5 trial to get it to work. If after the trial ends and it still doesn't work then I'll come back to dealing with it then. Hopefully the development team workout the problem by then or I might just upgrade to a sub that includes Azure P1.

Hi Everyone!  If anyone with M365 Business Basic had sync previously working and it recently stopped working please reach out to me and we can try to do a reset on our end.  

For everyone else, we are continuing our investigation!  :smile:

Thanks for your patience! 

-Kelly

Hi,

I too have a problem with sync, I've already submitted a feedback request.

Thanks
I do have a Basic plan and Edge sync is not working for me. Can you please help?

Cheers!

@bmomartins Hi - For the team to investigate further, would you be able to submit diagnostic data through our in-browser feedback tool? It's under "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.  Please select "Send diagnostic data" and also include your Tenant ID in the description.  

Also, for the team to be able to find it quickly, can you include the string "TechCommunitySync" in the description as well and comment below once you've submitted it?  Thank you! 

-Kelly

Hi @Kelly_Y,

Yes that was me, however I haven't received the email so I submitted the issue again.

Thanks

Dom 

I deleted the Edge profile yesterday and set it up again. Now it works! Thanks!

Done.

Thanks!
Hi - I have the same problem with M365 Business Basic - never was able to sync. I've just sent you the requested diagnostics, please some other information.

@Kelly_Y also unable to sync Edge with m365 business basic