SOLVED

Playready DRM Windows 10

Copper Contributor
Hi

My problem is 81.0.416.50 version Chromium Edge is not supporting 1080p videos on Netflix.  

PlayReady DRM for Windows 10 is enable on edge://flags

User agent selected as a Microsoft Edge Chromium Windows

All cookies and caches cleaned.

* There is no any flag as Playready Experimental Hevc decoding but yet i downloaded Hevc video extension (firstly tried without download and nothing changed)

**If widevine DRM disabled, netflix sending error code M7701-1003 which is saying that enable the Widevine.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks

43 Replies
Which to me seems like working normally, as intended.
I usually leave the flag set on Default, I changed it solely to test for this thread.
Thanks for reply. i was waiting some answers whole this time... :(

i already sent the diagnostic data through browser but no any reply yet. As you see the upper comments, some guys using Netflix with 1080p resolution with chromium browser even in same version with my browser.

I am triying to find some answers and solutions but unfortunately i am not so good at kinda this stuffs

@demircelikLtd Ok, thanks for confirming! Feel free to send me a DM and I can take a closer look into that feedback for you.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@demircelikLtd Thanks again for submitting feedback! To loopback: the team has identified the roadblock; however, it seems unique to your machine, so I will send you a private message with their recommendation.

Fawkes (they/them)

Haha, @demircelikLtd computer is broken :')) 

Ok, I'll stop trolling like an 9yr'old now!

Props to the team for getting involved and coming to the rescue of 1 user-case.

Things like these are getting rare these days and they should get the notice they deserve!
(clap) & (bow) & (notroll)

best response
Solution
Thanks for your kind help and so the team's.

This is unbelievable. I have 2 laptops. One of them is for gaming and second one is for work. Gaming laptop using multi-gpu and AMD is dedicated and work laptop is basic AMD. This is how i could not see the problem's source. My mistake is just focused to software.

According to your tip, i checked the gpu, AMD is dedicated for default on my gaming laptop so that not able to run 1080p. I tried to disable but could not solve the problem. I will read some more information about this matter.

After the team's solution, i checked with my girlfriend's laptop which is using nvidia and see that all is fine with 1080p.

Now i have different problem and i hope can find solution.
By the way, hey @Coddy looks like your right :)

I am so appreciate to see such a this help @Deleted.
Thanks again to all team and you.
Regard

@demircelikLtd I'm glad that we could help! :)

Fawkes (they/them)

Hello @Deleted ,

I have a similar issue.

I am trying to watch MUBI, but it stutters with all browsers except IE v.11 and Edge v.44. The Edge Chromium also stutters.  When I check it with this website: bitmovin>demos>drm , I get the same stuttering issue with DASH and HLS (options in the website). I can see only IE 11 and Edge 44 have playready flag active in the above demo website. Chromium doesn't show playready flag even after I activate it from edge://flags. It appears that only  Widevine flag works in Edge chromium. I can by the way watch MUBI movies on other PCs. I know that my PC is old, but Chromium doesn't show playready activated. What do you suggest me to do?

I have:

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. 

Dell n5110 with Intel® HD Graphics 3000.

Regards,

Ferhat

@mafein Thanks for reaching out, Ferhat. I wonder if you might also be experiencing an issue with GPU; are you able to check it? If your GPU logs indicate that "direct_composition" is disabled, then you may need to upgrade your system. 

Let me know if you have any trouble finding that info, and we can help.

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to find that info. Would you please give me instructions how to find it?
Cheers
Ferhat

@mafein 

Go to about:gpu page and look at the bottom of it

@mafein Yes, if I remember correctly, you'd want it to look like this:

fawkes_0-1589239309625.png

Fawkes (they/them)

Thanks @Deleted and @Coddy . Unfortunately my Direct Compoısition is "False". What is the workaround? What do you mean by "upgrade your system"? Should I buy new PC :) ? I have no issues with Classic old Edge v.44, the new Edge Chromium doesn't activate Playready, while the old one does.

1.PNG2.PNG

Hello @Deleted , I still didn't get any responses from you. I have Intel Graphics 3000, which is Sandy and Edge Chromium disables the direct composition with Sandy. Is there a workaround? Or will that issue be solved in next updates of Edge?

@mafein Thanks for following-up, and my apologies for the delay. Our media engineer took a look and said:

"Regarding your Direct Composition problem, your Intel GPU is not allowed to use Direct Composition. I see that you have up to 3 GPU devices connected, so you could try designating Microsoft Edge to run on a different device. Please also ensure that the GPU driver version is current and update if necessary."

Hopefully that helps!

Fawkes (they/them)

Hello @Deleted, thanks for dealing with this issue and taking it serious. I have 2 GPUs Intel HD3000 is the main one, which without it the computer doesn't work, and Nvidia 525m. I activated Nvidia using "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" from flags, but direct compostion was still disabled. So I did a workaround by adding --disable-direct-composition=0 to shortcut, it enabled the direct composition but still stuttering was as before.

I moved the issue to here to get more responses: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/no-playready-visible-with-the-chromium-edge/td-p/1431587 

There is a workaround! You need to enable either playready drm or widevine drm by using Edge flags (see 2nd picture below). And for video accelerated decoding you need to enable "override software rendering list". To test if drm video streams work you can use the website https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm . Netflix uses playready (for highest bitrate) while amazon prime uses widevine so you need to disable the other unused drm in flags. To get 4K Netflix you also need the HEVC video extensions from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq Nevertheless only the Netflix UWP App delivers the highest bitrate (you can see resolution bitrate with CTRL + Shift + Alt + Q ). For example I get over 5000 kBit/s at 1920x1080 pixels for movie Snowpiercer but only 2800 kBit/s at 1920x1080 in Edge.

WidevineWidevine

Edge flags for NetflixEdge flags for NetflixEdge flags for Amazon Prime VideoEdge flags for Amazon Prime Video

There is a workaround! You need to enable either playready drm or widevine drm by using Edge flags (see 2nd picture below). And for video accelerated decoding you need to enable "override software rendering list". To test if drm video streams work you can use the website https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm . Netflix uses playready (for highest bitrate) while amazon prime uses widevine so you need to disable the other unused drm in flags. To get 4K Netflix you also need the HEVC video extensions from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq Nevertheless only the Netflix UWP App delivers the highest bitrate (you can see resolution bitrate with CTRL + Shift + Alt + Q ). For example I get over 5000 kBit/s at 1920x1080 pixels for movie Snowpiercer but only 2800 kBit/s at 1920x1080 in Edge.

WidevineWidevine

Edge flags for NetflixEdge flags for NetflixEdge flags for Amazon Prime VideoEdge flags for Amazon Prime Video

edge://gpuedge://gpuPlayReady Hardware DRM supportPlayReady Hardware DRM support

There is a workaround I found today! Just disable either Widevine DRM or PlayReady DRM in edge://flags like in the images below. Both enabled (default flag is enabled by the way) does not work! And with override software rendering list set to enabled you even get hardware accelerated video decoding. On https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm you can check which one is enabled and below in the images you can see it works flawlessly for both DRM key systems. When you also want to stream 4K Netflix you need the HEVC video extensions from here:  HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer
I get 1080p and over 4000 kBit/s bitrate for the movie snowpiercer in Netflix (view with CTRL + Alt + Shift + Q). Bitrate in Netflix UWP App is even higher and supports 5.1 Dolby sound.

PlayReady Hardware DRM supportPlayReady Hardware DRM supportedge://gpuedge://gpuEdge flags for NetflixEdge flags for NetflixWidevineWidevinewidevine.png

Thanks for the effort @Girofox. But as I have written above, I cannot see PlayReady activated using https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm. Please see the pictures. The issue is the incompatibility of the new chromium Edge with my GPU which is an old one. That's why direct composition is disabled by default by the edge.

flags.PNG

gpu.PNG

noDRM.PNG