SOLVED

drag a tab to split-screen is broken

Steel Contributor

Have a few tabs open, then click and drag one of them to either side of the screen so that tab detaches into its own window and is split screen. Notice that tab you dragged to either side of the screen is maximized. This is incorrect! Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.edgesplitscreen.png

41 Replies
But Eric, no one is letting us know if Microsoft employees are actually seeing these issues and filing them internally. If the Edge team knows about an issue, their should be some kind of acknowledgement! No one from Microsoft has to "answer" or explain anything, but they should at least say something like "this issue is now filed internally". Do you understand why some users like myself bump posts or file the same issue more than once? This is starting to feel like the Feedback Hub all over again! (and please don't defend the Feedback Hub, I have filed many legitimate bugs in it over the years and none have been fixed and the bugs are still present in the newest insider builds of Windows 10. I don't want the same thing to happen to Edge).
I think the proper way to submit bugs and be sure that they are being tracked is to fill and send them using the feedback button on the browser. that's where you get confirmation email and later follow up emails saying they they are working on your feedback or congratulate you that you helped to fix a bug.
the forum is the forum, not a bug tracker, we discuss stuff, bugs etc like by making sure a bug is universal or not, experience by others or just by one person, if developers by chance see a bug post, they comment on it but I've seen various times on the forum that the developers also asked the users to submit the bug through feedback button on the browser to be properly tracked.
so I think bumping threads has zero value. it's not like your bug reports are more important that someone else's bug reports who is not active on the forum very often to bump his/her threads.

@Bdsrev To give you some insight: it is our team's goal is to directly respond to and/or acknowledge as many posts as possible. However, when there are days or weeks with a higher volume of posts and comments and/or for niche situations, it may take us a little longer to respond.

And I would agree with @HotCakeX , that this forum offers a unique opportunity that isn't possible via other channels, which is for fellow Insiders and technical users to engage with you and your thoughts. As we continue to encourage this awesome community to grow and flourish, we will often intentionally allow other Insiders the opportunity to respond first. This can either give more voices and data points behind a bug, helping us identify/fix it faster, or offer workarounds that even we might still be determining.

That being said, we understand that something may be urgent, so if you are looking for absolute certainty that everything has been received and internally filed, you can send individual feedback items through the browser. Even if you don't see an immediate response or resolution, I can guarantee that it is all looked at and actioned appropriately.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Fawkes thank you! I have 1 last question: is the Edge team considering bringing back their own public issue tracker? The old Edge had one. I understand it's a little bit more complicated now because Chromium of course already has a public bug tracker BUT there are a lot of things that are specific to Edge, so I think Edge deserves its own public issue tracker. I think that could really improve things.

@Bdsrev Sure thing, happy to provide some context. The short answer is that yes, since we have gotten a lot of feedback around the public issue tracker, our team is actively discussing it!

Fawkes (they/them)

best response
Solution

@Bdsrev To loop back, here's some info on the split-screen issue, called "Windows Snap:" this seems like it may be related to that Chromium bug, so our devs are continuing to actively track it. (And your feedback actually did help them, so thank you for the original callout!)

We'll let you know if/when there are any further updates on this.

Fawkes (they/them)

Fawkes you're the best thank you! I'm more than happy to help if needed further (I'm in split screen most of the time so this one has been an annoyance for quite a while)
This really should be fixed before Windows 10X ships, they should give themselves that deadline for this issue
There are heaps of bugs in Windows 10, including the one that I posted above which was introduced in 1903. I don't think Windows 10X will be magically different or that they'll rush to fix them. They haven't done that for the Surfaces. Just drag/swipe up on an item on the taskbar and the first item will have a focus rectangle. Another older bug. So anyway, I don't think they'll fix this Edge/Chromium bug.

It's also found in WinUI, Edge UWP/Spartan and Firefox but NOT in IE! With IE though, once you start to snap the tab, it turns into a window and you can't drag it back into a window anymore. The difference between Chrome and Edge UWP/Spartan and Firefox is that dragging a tab to snap it to the side shows a preview of what it should look like. Once you release it maximises. It's so so close to being perfect.
Maybe because that Bug is not that severe?
every software has bugs, there can't be a bug free software or OS
https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/195571/is-it-possible-to-reach-absolute-zero...

and until you told me how to reproduce it Intentionally, I didn't even notice it. so I see why it's not fixed.

Of course you can't have a bug free OS. It wasn't there before 1903 though. We don't know what changes they really make in each build. You need steps to repro when you report bugs usually anyway.

What I'm disappointed in Microsoft with is the lack of action. There are people who work for Microsoft who have seen this thread. And just generally speaking, Windows 8.1 and earlier builds of W10 had fewer bugs. The quality of W10 got noticeably worse with the Anniversary Update. And just because that bug isn't severe, it affects Windows' snap. If they only fix crashes then I'd be really surprised. And you have to acknowledge that Microsoft doesn't test their software like they used to.

@pneenkoalabear 

Spoiler

@pneenkoalabear wrote:
Of course you can't have a bug free OS. It wasn't there before 1903 though. We don't know what changes they really make in each build. You need steps to repro when you report bugs usually anyway.

What I'm disappointed in Microsoft with is the lack of action. There are people who work for Microsoft who have seen this thread. And just generally speaking, Windows 8.1 and earlier builds of W10 had fewer bugs. The quality of W10 got noticeably worse with the Anniversary Update. And just because that bug isn't severe, it affects Windows' snap. If they only fix crashes then I'd be really surprised. And you have to acknowledge that Microsoft doesn't test their software like they used to.

You're on Edge insider community, not Windows community, so conversation here doesn't count as feedback to be seen by Microsoft employees in charge of Windows 10.

I wonder just how disconnected each team at Microsoft are from each other.

@pneenkoalabear 

@pneenkoalabear wrote:
I wonder just how disconnected each team at Microsoft are from each other.

not really disconnected, unless you were thinking all the employees are sitting across the same room so they can shout at each other like "hey Windows guy fix this, hey office guy fix that" 

haha

i was wondering if they send messages and stuff.

to go back to your point, I mentioned my bug because this bug seems similar to it.

@pneenkoalabear Yes, we all certainly do our best to have open lines of communication between teams. But as @HotCakeX mentioned, we unfortunately aren't all in the same room (or even the same country!) :p

That being said, we also have a community for Windows users and Windows Insiders, which you can find here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-10/ct-p/Windows10, or reach out to the Windows Insider handle: https://twitter.com/windowsinsider. 

Back to your bug report: I just checked in, and our team is still actively tracking and looking into it. However, I will let them know that users are still really interested in seeing it resolved.

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)

i'm sorry but i don't really believe you. I don't think it was ever filed internally. I don't think the Windows team tracks any bugs. Let alone features. You can still right click on the start button and your cursor will move. It's one of many bugs that never get fixed. It took about two years for the reveal effect in menus to get fixed. I'm almost sarcastic.

If you don't believe them, why don't you just file it in the Chromium bug tracker? I'll star it right away

@pneenkoalabear As we are not part of the Windows team, I cannot speak to their bug tracking processes or anything related to the Start menu.

However, I can reassure you that I discussed this with the relevant MS Edge feature owners throughout February. (And yes, I just went back and confirmed it with timestamps.) For even more insight: this is a chromium bug, #1027961, that we are also actively tracking with our own internal bug. The MS Edge program managers responsible for this area of development have also read all of the comments on this thread, and will do their best to provide updates if/when there are any.

So while I recognize that there is an eagerness and hunger for more information -- especially involving bugs -- please rest assured that 1) we keep our word and 2) we get your feedback to the right people. As an entire team, we value our Insiders and their feedback immensely. Even if the effects of your suggestions are not always immediately visible, I promise that we take them into account!

Fawkes (they/them)

The issue I'm talking about is not Chrome's fault. It's a Windows bug introduced with v1903.