Discussion - Set Aside Tabs and Warn on Close

Microsoft

Hi Insiders, we have received a lot of feedback about how you would like to close your tabs with the option of easily finding and reopening them later as you move between different workflows. Specifically, many of you are asking for the Tab Set Aside feature from the previous version of Microsoft Edge to be brought back. Some of you are also asking for a prompt to help avoid losing all your tabs such that you can’t find them again if you accidentally close the browser.

• Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window
• Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

Each of these requests seem related to the fact that many of you have a lot of tabs open at once across many tasks and workflows. This leads to a situation where it can often be difficult to manage all of your tabs at the same time, and each additional tab makes it difficult to deal with all of the rest (e.g. tabs get smaller, harder to read each titles, many similar tab icons begin to blur together, etc.). But it can also be scary to close tabs and declutter your workspace, for fear of not being able to find things again later if you need to. We have definitely experienced this problem ourselves, observed it in our research and conversations with users, and agree it is an area where we want to invest in tools to help you be more productive across various tasks. We are actively investigating the best way to address this problem and would love your help and input as we proceed to make sure we get the experience just right.

We have looked through your feedback, and there are definitely some very valid reasons for why there was value in the Set Aside feature such as: Helping you pick up on a task later without leaving the tabs open when you aren’t using them, organizing your tabs into groups related to a similar task, and a short term home for more transient tasks that didn’t warrant saving in a permanent location such as Favorites.

We also reviewed feedback on the Set Aside feature itself from people actually using it in the previous version of Microsoft Edge, and there were some very valid critiques on how it worked and how it could be improved. For example, the Set Aside buttons being in a location where they were often accidentally clicked causing some to think their tabs had disappeared, requests to be able to set aside a subset of the currently open tabs rather than “all or nothing”, or requests to rename and personalize tab groups further to more easily find them again later.

The request for a prompt before closing the browser also feels related, because if people could always confidently find and reopen any of their previous tabs, then there would be less fear or concern about losing tabs if they are accidently closed. This would allow people to feel free to declutter and reduce the number of open tabs with no fear about finding them later if needed, and more easily focus on the subset of tabs they are working on now.

As we begin this journey of investigating how best to address these requests, we are asking for your help. Please continue to tell us more about your experience with Set Aside and closing tabs in Microsoft Edge, why these features are important to you in which types of tasks, what did and didn’t work for you about previous implementations, and how you would improve on these scenarios going forward.

334 Replies

@Bekind21 

Spoiler

@Bekind21 wrote:
Just bring back the set tabs aside feature. It's 2021 and nothing yet. I'm writing this upset because this was the reason I preferred Edge. If I preferred the collections feature I would use chrome. I don't know how to explain just how useful and convinient it is as a feature. Ease of use, allowing you to browse tabs set aside before opening, convinience of having any tabs you've set aside a click away. Im a PhD student, I open multiple tabs at a time, I was better able to control and organise my tabs, and I have plenty I had set aside. Now they are tucked away in collections (thank God because I freaked out a little after noticing the feature was gone). Please just bring it back.

Hi,

please submit your request using the feedback button on Edge so devs will know,

press Edge's (...) menu => Help and feedback => Send feedback

@HotCakeX 

So in March "Microsoft Edge will now warn you when you close multiple tabs" ? When in March this will be rolling out? Thank you.

@r1maa 

this has been here for the last couple of months. enable this flag:

edge://flags/#edge-ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs

@HotCakeX And then you have to go into Settings & More > Settings > Appearance > Ask before closing multiple tabs, and turn it on.

Regards,

Dan

Yeah, I remember it shows a message to the user for the first time that how this works and guides them.
@ r1maa
Probably next March 2022 since they first promised to deliver it around a year ago.

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:
@ r1maa
Probably next March 2022 since they first promised to deliver it around a year ago.

this has been here for the last couple of months already.

just enable this flag to force it: edge://flags/#edge-ask-before-closing-multiple-tabs

the flag is available from Edge stable all the way to Edge canary.

Good news is, it is being turned on by default (without the need to use flags), controlled feature rollout at the moment.

I have it on Edge canary without using the flag.

After a year, we got Warn before close feature and this is really awesome. But what is the progress on "Set tabs aside" feature??? Can we expect some information about this in coming weeks?
I'm not sure I've sent that on the list of features being worked on. There's is an extension your can get called Tabs Aside. I installed it on my Edges, and it works very well.

@Elliot Kirk 
Maybe to recreate Tabs Being Set Aside you could allow people to set them aside using the right click drop down menu, set tab aside or set all tabs aside and have a pop out box like the History and Downloads one showing where tabs have been put aside.

It seems like Microsoft is introducing workspaces as a replacement for set tabs aside: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/introducing-workspaces-in-edge-new-feature/m-p/22...
It's April 2021 and it's v90 and the "Warn on close" isn't added yet although it was set for March !! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!
I think that set aside should be integrated with Collections. Just add "Add all tabs to Collection".
This has been suggested many times over the past 2 or more years that this has been discussed, rediscussed, and re-rediscussed ad nauseum. Set Aside Tabs and Collections are two different things with two different purposes. I've weighed in on this so many times, that I've given up. Here's the thing: if you don't see a use for setting tabs aside, don't use it. Like I don't use collections. But i don't say, "oh, just merge Collections into Set Aside Tabs." Choice is the name of the game.
Cluttering the UI and functionality with complementary features never pays out for products. Set aside is limited as it supports only 2 contexts. I think that they can be merged for a lower footprint on cognitive load for end-users and the effort required from engineering team.

In any case, we have equal rights to express our opinions.
@Jurijsk, You make a good point, and it's true, especially for a product that is for sale. However, this is a not-for-sale product, and it's a feature that was in classic Edge. (There is a plug-in that works fairly well and that I so use. However, I'd prefer to not have to use a plug-in, but a native feature.

And you're right; we both have equal rights to express our opinions. That's what makes this country great! Freedom of speech! And, even though I might not agree with your viewpoint, you should express it and we should talk about it.

All the best, and stay well,

Dan
If we have warned for closing multiple tabs then why don't we just get a check box next to it saying set tabs aside and instead of it being a feature it is the text that shows up to check similar to how when you shut down a Mac Book you get the prompt with the checkbox to reopen last used applications.
That'd be good too.

@HotCakeX  So, that *could* work, depending on the implementation. Meaning, Workspaces.