Can't see Copilot icon anymore!

Brass Contributor

Hey everyone.

Today, after updating Microsoft Edge in my Windows 11, I can't see Copilot icon on top right of the window anymore (even in Edge Dev and Edge Can). Also, I can't access Bing Chat over sidebar shortcut that I've created. Why?? Actually, the last version of Edge was greatly working and didn't have any problems. I could completely work with Copilot, even in PDF files; but not anymore. Well, what should I do??:expressionless_face::loudly_crying_face:

Thanks for your support.

22 Replies

@NouriehFerdosian me neither, i have windows 10 and i just use copilot on Microsoft edge,but after I've turned off my labtab and turned on again, the copilot icon disappeared from top of the sidebar in Microsoft edge, i searched and i use all fix recommend but it's not working.

Finally find out some guy discussing this problem.
I'm using Edge and Edge Canary on macOS. Before updating, I got Copilot in Edge but Copilot in Canary is missing.
After last night updating, I lost Copilot in normal version, but I got Copilot in Canary version. I try several ways to recover it in normal Edge - such as relog in, reboot, reinstall... but still cannot get it back. Now I have to use it on Canary version. How come this happened?

Some bug must've happened. I've lost it previously on Dev version and then on the Stable.

But if you've got it on Canary, they must've fixed it now and it'll be back in the next Stable (official) update.

I have the same problem, it happened today, yesterday everything worked. Tried different options, failed to enable
Seems like in the new update, Microsoft decided to restrict edge copilot access in some regions based on your IP address so if you cant use the copilot at all, consider using a vpn and restarting Microsoft edge. Same happened to me after the recent update and just noticed that in edge startup process, it will analyze your IP to check if your region is in the copilot blacklist, so changing your IP will simply solve the problem... at least it works for me
Can you reccomend a solid free VPN just for that?

@dimitrus unfortunately WARP/WARP+ cant bypass that restriction although my first recommendation was using this service but maybe some free VPNs like Windscribe, Proton, HS can bypass it. Im using a paid vpn tho i cant say which one works the best.

@viper_client No, didn't work for me. I tried VeePN and it was not helpful for my issue.

use a better VPN, afaik VeePN is not that good, after you got connected to the vpn, open edge and wait in there for like 30 seconds so edge can process your new ip, then close the edge and open it again for like 2 times, then you should see the copilot. if you tried all of these and it didn't work, probably its a bug on your side
Weird, totally weird. Today, I lost my Copilot on Canary again, but I got it again on Stable version. I wonder if it only allows to activate one Copilot on one computer?
I can't see Copilot icon on top right of the window too

@NouriehFerdosian
The situation is similar. I can only attach a link to the Copilot settings. Unfortunately, I can't activate it. Although, the blue color indicates that it is enabled.

edge://settings/sidebar/appSettings?hubApp=cd4688a9-e888-48ea-ad81-76193d56b1be

One possible reason is your group polices disabling the sidebar and apps, check this if it helps:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-sidebar

But I guess it's most likely a region block thing. I'm in mainland China. I noticed it'd show if you installed a new/beta version but then it'd disappear.
I tried to proxy all my network traffic thru the VPN to Los Angeles. I changed the region, ,time zone , language in the Windows 10 settings but it didn't work either.
Somehow both Bing and Google still managed to locate my IP in China( those "where's my ip" webs can be easily fooled tho) , even if I started a clean guest profile.
It's probably the ISP giving away my real IP. Or my VPN just didn't work like I expected.
But, think about it, missing icon means we can't use Bing summarizer for webpages and PDFs. We can still use it in the official chat page.
So maybe we could move on, use some GPT based extensions for that purpose.

You must use an AI-available IP. I got Copilot on Edge of windows. What I described was the situation I meet on MacOS.

@Andrei_Goncharuk 

Look at my window. copilot settings are completely disabled for me (even with VPN on). I can't even access the copilot shortcut I made in the sidebar! You can see its icon, but it does not enter "chat with bing" and only browses on the web. I am completely disappointed with Microsoft Edge, because it was better than other browsers only because of the Copilot, and there's no Copilot anymore!!!

Is copilot not available to your original origin? If that's the case, you need to use some proxy software that could create a "tunnel-mode" proxy, then proxy by process name -- the whole Edge process ("msedge.exe") to an Copilot available IP. Then use it for a while, it would show up. At last, your account needs to be clean, if the button shows up but you still cannot access copilot or even the Bing Chat, you need to sign up for a new account.
Update - My copilot is back and i can use it without any vpn... Seems like there was a recent update which made some changes to bing AI usage restrictions or its actually a bug that may be fixed automatically whenever it wants, or maybe nothing happened and im just lucky?

It's terrible on Mac OS. :sad:

I just tested on mainstream and Canary version Edge. In the mainstream version if you click the icon on the sidebar and close it. You never have a chance to open it back. Except you access the 'hiding' menu via edge://settings/sidebar/appSettings?hubApp=cd4688a9-e888-48ea-ad81-76193d56b1be. 

In the Canary version, you can find the sidebar options under the Copilot switch from Settings. But is greyed and can be set. Include VERY IMPORTANT setting: Allow Edge access to the page content. We need it to answer questions from web pages or PDF files...

The only reason to switch Chrome to Edge is GONE....:facepalm:

@Hao Hu be patient and try reinstalling the current versions you have or install other versions like dev and beta. i was using beta for a while and i had the same problem, after resetting my pc fpr some reason, i was like: "lets try canary this time" and guess what... ITS BACK, i can use it without any restrictions