SOLVED

300 seat minimum and Inclusiveness?

Brass Contributor

I am curious and believe there needs to be discussion around how the decision to have a 300 seat minimum figures into inclusiveness efforts? This decision seems to run counter to several of Microsoft's stated guiding principles for responsible AI, primarily Inclusiveness and Fairness. By imposing this minimum, they seemingly have intentionally cut out small businesses, non-profits, and other organizations that would tremendously benefit from the strategic application of M365 Copilot. 

Doesn't making this emerging technology available only to larger enterprise customers who can afford what amounts to an 108k yearly minimum further divide the business world and give those larger entities even more of an advantage over smaller ones? 

18 Replies
Yes, communication on rolling out M365 Copilot has been very confusing and incoherent.

This certainly does put SMB at a decided disadvantage. @Mwelser 

Just incase anyone wants a direct link to MS Responsible AI information.

@Mwelser  Are Microsoft Partners selling the license?  This is kind of weird.

@StrictlyCyber The Microsoft blog post in July stated: "Second, to help commercial customers plan, we’re sharing that Microsoft 365 Copilot will be priced at $30 per user, per month for Microsoft 365 E3, E5, Business Standard and Business Premium customers, when broadly available; "

Now it turns out this is not the case and only E3 and E5 is supported with a 300 seat minimum.

I can't imagine MS leaving out SMB's/non-profits/the ability to purchase an individual license?
I don't know. I don't work with one. I am part of a very small non-profit shop. I know I can't access them directly through the M365 admin portal at this time.
and yet they have
I've checked and as a tier 1 CSP we are unable to sell it as its EA only at this point.
Hey Mwelser, Microsoft announced the Microsoft 365 Copilot Early Access Program for SMBs in September and it's been ongoing. Definitely recognize that SMBs are critical, and Copilot will be available to SMB customers in the future.

Here's the announcement of the SMB EAP https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/small-and-medium-business-blog/microsoft-365-copilot-eases-th...

@GabeHo Great, is there a way to apply to the EAP for SMBs?

I am surprised there isn't more uproar about this. Perhaps it's still coming, but this is exactly the type of thing Microsoft said they were not going to do.

This puts smaller non-profit organizations and SMBs at a HUGE disadvantage. Where are the stories about Microsoft promoting inequity in access to AI tools?
best response confirmed by Mwelser (Brass Contributor)
Solution
This is a complete failure on Microsoft's side. Nowhere in the public facing marketing does it state the 300 seat minimum. Nowhere on the public facing marketing does it state that this is not available via CSP. I now have a very pissed off customer who is asking why we cannot do as Microsoft is telling them we can do. Microsoft, you need to do better. A lot better.
Great, is there a way to apply to the EAP for SMBs? Would be good to have a response

@james333 Unfortunately it was by invite only as a private beta for a select few.

The "General Availability" announcement turned out to be a blatant and willful misrepresentation. I hope there will be coordinated lawsuits against Microsoft if they don't rectify within the next month.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mwelser (Brass Contributor)
Solution
This is a complete failure on Microsoft's side. Nowhere in the public facing marketing does it state the 300 seat minimum. Nowhere on the public facing marketing does it state that this is not available via CSP. I now have a very pissed off customer who is asking why we cannot do as Microsoft is telling them we can do. Microsoft, you need to do better. A lot better.

View solution in original post