We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

Hi @Drew1903 Tried 3 times, hasn't worked for me ( have relaunched Edge C as instructed). I have enabled again, will relaunch Edge, but then I need to leave the house. When I start pc tonight I'll see if it's kicked in or not. Will post result. Cheers.

@Elliot KirkI'm running the chrome extension on Edge.
How do I check browser on chromium based Edge Extension?

Sorry, Pete, I find these conversations, here, hard to track or find sometimes.  What are you trying 3 or 4 times?  I can't seem to tie back to the issue.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  I agree. I can't understand why active/inactive tab contrast has to be almost nonexistant. When fluent design comes to cEdge, contrast may become just as bad as Edge, but it doesn't have to be. 

@BobInPIT I agree set tabs aside is a critical feature. I also use it a lot in Edge. However, I'm very happy that CEdge allows me to install the OneTab extension from Google's Chrome store. One major shortcoming with Set Tabs Aside in Edge is it's all-or-nothing. You cannot move a subset of tabs aside. OneTab gives you total control over which tabs get moved. It's also easier to navigate and find tabs in OneTab's full page list which I keep open in a pinned tab. 

@Elliot Kirk 

When is the first update to the Dev channel due?

Rogerdgford

@Yannick Plavonil Very good list. I agree with almost everything except "Redesign the E icon and 
Rename Edge to something better (a name that people love and not from the marketing team)". 

I like the icon and name Edge. And I don't think either has anything to do with Edge's popularity or lack thereof. You aren't making this claim, but I've seen it suggested.

@Drew1903 I agree. Love Tech Comminity overall, but conversations are hard to track. 

@Drew1903  I totally agree with you that it is difficult to keep track in here unlees you use the qoute button.

@Drew1903 wrote:

Sorry, Pete, I find these conversations, here, hard to track or find sometimes.  What are you trying 3 or 4 times?  I can't seem to tie back to the issue.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

No worries @Drew1903 It's the dark mode activation that's not working for me. Thanks.

@Elliot Kirk first of all congratulations :) i am loving this new edge(please improve ui). 

i have been trying it since last few days it's my default browser already.

The one feature i have liked the most is installing web pages as apps. i have one suggestion regarding that. When we install web page as an app we don't have the navigation options. That works fine if the app is an SPA but if it's not the experience is not that good. i think it would be really great if a back button is there at the title bar.

@Elliot Kirk I have been using the product for several days and I am very impress.  The product works a lot better then the production version of edge.  I would look to see the reading version added to the product and the save tabs and restore tabs option added back to the product.

Tony,

We do know Reading View IS coming soon, as well as some other things.

CS.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Will, or does the browser support the Send to OneNote add in - essential tool for me but other than that looking good so far.

@Deleted I installed the OneNote extension from the Chrome store as a stopgap and it works like a charm!

Will give it a try..
I tried it and it works perfectly. Thanks for the heads up. Rarely use Chrome so Chrome Store new to me so will dig for more goodies.
uninstall/reinstall worked for Grammarly. Thanks.

: The new Edge browser.@Elliot Kirk 
In working with my customers I've been doing an informal survey with my tech customer base on what would pull them away from using IE-11 or another Chromium browser and move up to the new Edge. Out of 105 responses, 98 said the same thing: Keep the IE-11 folder structure used within the File Explorer. No one likes the database format native to Chromium browsers, especially if someone has a large number of favorites. It is sooo much easier to manage if the Favorites are in a folder. You can go straight to them with ease, rearrange them, rename them, even drag & drop then from WITHIN the file explorer. You don't have to fumble around with a Favorites side panel.
Some will say that non-one cares. I (and my customers) would differ, especially with business users who need lots of folders and subfolders filled with important links.
I've heard that it can't be done inside a Chromium browser, but any developer knows it can. In fact, I suspect the Edge developers are modifying Chromium code to fit customers needs right now.
I can also say, based on survey results, that the ability to use a folder system, ala IE-11 style, would pull a LOT of users away from other Chromium browsers. Instead of simply letting Redmond folks call the shots (which resulted in the Edge disaster) listen to users and make something that not only works, but is easy to use and modify.
Thank You.