We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@McPaul 

ABSOLUTELY!

An.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Bradcore 

Brad, not until & unless the Favs star FS.jpg is put in or something similar.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Maan2003 

Re: "We would love see ALT+X Shortcut for three dot menu as in old."

In Edge C it is Alt+F

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@OK, Well it has been about a week now that I have been running the new Edge....... AND, I am still using it........ Normally, I would have junked just about every other browser and returned to Chrome, but the new EDGE is working very well, fast, reliable, and no real concerns....

Still waiting for new additions and extensions, but this new EDGE is on my radar.....

So far, so good, from an advid Chrome user.........

@Maan2003 

I'm going to suggest,the active tab is, actually, much easier to discern, see or spot in Edge C than it is in Edge. Here ⬇ is an A/B comparison shot to demonstrate the point.  Edge on the left & Edge C on the right.

Screenshot (4).png

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk Grammarly extension loads properly but does not log in properly and hence does not work. It would be a great substitute for the missing spell checker. If I click on the icon in the text box I am currently entering data into (like this one), it pops up with a request to login but then fails ("Something went wrong"). If I click on the icon at the end of the URL box, it pops up a separate tab and I am logged in but that doesn't cause it to work. 

I too have experienced this problem. It's just the remote login part. It does log in. It does appear to be checking my inputs but is unable to compare anything because it won't transmit the log in data...I think.

Personally, grammarly is much better than ANY included browser library. I can't understand how Microsoft hasn't already put a deal in place to bring Grammarly into the fold as PART of the browser. Beat the others to the punch. Sooner or later, one of the Browsers WILL do it. Then that will be another thing to contend with. Get to the deal making guys.

I am experiencing the same problem as well

@Elliot Kirk We would love to have a keyboard shortcut to close other tabs (Example Ctrl+Shift+W)

Please add the close tabs to right option

@H_A_N_K 

Thanks, since I know you're kidding, we needed a good laugh, today. :D  Just guessing you mean IE... & what the heck OS would someone be using w/ that?  This could become even funnier.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Maan2003 

Hi & Welcome.

Close Tabs to the Right exists.  Close other tabs & Close tabs to the right have no K/B shortcuts.  Certainly, not the same, but, w/ Edge there is a mouse gesture to close other tabs & in this Edge C, one can be created to do it, for now.  I'm hoping at some point we'll have the MS mouse Gestures available.  Right now, it's a mouse gesture offering from the Chrome Store & w/ it, the gesture would have to be created; one for what you want to do or have, is missing, by default.

Cl.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I *need* this feature. Tab management SUCKS in every other browser. Letting you put tabs along the side should be an option, but this is only a stop-gap measure. Edge's ability to manage whole groups of tabs by simply putting them aside or loading them as required was *brilliant* and is exactly how a browser should work.

I tried using Edge, but it was too slow, too buggy and too incompatible, but the tabs management is top notch. So, you can imagine my disappointment.

Microsoft, if you leave the set-tabs-aside feature, I WILL NOT use the new Edge. Period. For me, that feature is a show-stopper and without it, there's no other reason to use it.

@Elliot Kirk  Thanks for reworking Edge. I *really* wanted to use Edge (because of the tab management feature), but it was VERY slow and buggy for me. (Many people didn't have much of a problem with it, but for me (for some reason), it was like using an alpha version.)

Regarding the tab management, Edge is the ONLY browser that gets tabs right. Seriously. Other browsers stack tabs together (so you have to click the group to see the tabs - dumb), or put them along the side (which is a poor substitute), or just make the tabs smaller and smaller until they're the size of atoms (this is helpful!).

Microsoft, please do not leave the set-tabs-aside feature from the original Edge out of the new version. That would be a show-stopper for me, and I would literally have no reason to use it. Really.

Thanks

@Elliot Kirk The work done is absolutely amazing.  Here a few things I need:

Bring the Share feature from Spartan
Send Page to other Devices
See Synchronized tabs
Cast to Chromecast and Xbox
Redesign the E icon
Rename Edge to something better (a name that people love and not from the marketing team)
Promote your own products like Outlook instead of Facebook on the home page.
Cortana actions (Go to www, Refresh this page, Translate this page, etc.)
Delivery Optimization support for Edge updates
Native Ad blocking (ublock origin)
Auto appearance of the Download icon on the menu bar (no more overlay windows at the bottom)
Prefetch Outlook.com on start with connected profile
Microsoft Reward information in the profile
Download file from other Devices linked to MSA
Options to purge all data (passwords, bookmarks, etc)

I have the canary and dev versions installed an im very impressed chrome will go as soon as a full release is out and with dark mode

@Deleted 

Geodie,

That's cool.

IF you want, you can have Dark, now.  > edge://flags, type Dark in the search box, hit Enter & Enable what you see.

Dark.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk Please bring the Share Charm, being able to email or skype an article to a friend in a couple clicks was used very frequently. I also really enjoyed the Add Notes feature for snipping pages and bringing attention to stuff when sharing with friends, but i'll confess i used it rarely even though it's presence was always appreciated.

Share is critical though, to normal usage.

@Brothernod 

Hi & welcome.

Here are some things we know are coming.  The Share icon goes w/ Add notes which, everybody wants.  Another that is missing, right now is the Favorites Annotation 2019-04-12 212655.jpg

CS.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

oh yes thank you that's brilliant bye bye chrome@Drew1903 

Just downloaed the new Edge browser and so far so good, but when watching Youtube videos it would be great if there was a PiP mode like they have in the Opera browser. My default browser is Opera but I am going to switch to the new Edge as it's much faster. Having the ability to still watch Youtube videos while browsing other sites really makes the user experice on Youtube that much better on Opera. 

Keep up the great work