Headset Mutes Automatically (16.3.240)

Brass Contributor

Since installing 16.3.240 update a couple days ago every time I start a new voice conversation my headset (Plantronics W740-m) automatically mutes itself.  As soon as it does this once then the headset will mute itself in every other application that includes audio.  If I reboot I can use other applications as normal but as soon as I start Skype for Business and initiate another call it is right back to the same behavior.  This is unbelievably annoying.  Anyone have a fix or is this something Microsoft will need a code change to address?

39 Replies

Same headset same issue. Pain in the rear!

I'm also experiencing this problem... I am going to test other headsets.

For now the Plantronics with dongle BT600 mutes also on audio connect.

Hi, 

I am running into the identical problem with the same release using a Jabra headset 9460 and the Jabra Motion UC headset. What an annoying situation....

Would someone from the tech department PLEASE respond to this inquiry.

Thanks!

As Spice911 comments, is anyone from Microsoft monitoring these conversations? I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that feedback here would be read by someone with the ability to take action. Otherwise this is an echo chamber with none of us on the outside able to do anything about this bug. This is incredibly frustrating (both the broken aspect of the application and the lack of response). This error also extends beyond just SfB borders breaking an aspect of the entire MacOS given that once this mute situation starts it affects all applications with audio and continues after SfB is shut back down. You need to address this issue Microsoft, where can I go to initiate action on this?
In the new Insider Fast build 16.4.203, we have fixed some of the device issues. Can you please try to see if it fixes any of problem?
Thank you Kam Foo Aw, I'm happy to try, where can I obtain the Insider Fast Build?
never mind, I found it. I installed and the issue is still present, I will try restarting the whole machine though. That will take a bit to save everything and shut down. More soon...
I had to restart the system after the update for it to address the issue but it appears this does fix this issue.
I spoke too soon, it still occurs with 16.4.203
Having been on 16.4.203 for a day now it seems that this sometimes addresses the issue while in SfB but often does not and has NOT addressed the fallout to the remainder of the operating system. All other applications in MacOS with audio are now automatically muting my headset when the audio starts. Please continue to investigate and provide us a solution ASAP, this is highly frustrating especially given the impact on other applications throughout the OS. e.g. you have broken other applications with your bug.

Here I am encoutering the same problems as before. On top of that I now get my headset muted the second I finish a call. So now the headset mutes at the beginning and the end of each phone call. You can imagine how seriously unacceptable is in a job where I am on the phone about 60% of my workday!

It's unfortunate that the current release is not helping - it seems it even worsened the situation, never thought THAT would even be possible.

How shall I put it?

Maybe I should tweet about this? "This is NOT running like a fine tuned machine. It's bad, very very bad. Very unfair."

It's been over a week now and the issue still exists, can we get an update or ETA from MS?

Hi.  We are tracking an auto mute issue but it is within SFB Mac app itself.  We are trying to get those devices (Plantronics W740-M or Jabra headset 9460 and Jabra Motion UC) to see if we can reproduce the issue.  Can you please file the bug through the Help/Report an issue... menu.  It will upload the log files to help us debug the issue.  Sorry for inconvienience.  Thank you.

I filed the report via the application.  Please let me know if you need more data.

Thanks b b.  I will get the team to take a look.  Hopefully we will get some answers in a day or two.

Unfortunately with yesterday's update to 16.4.246 the problem still persists. 

This did not happen until the update to 16.3.240 so I can pretty safely rule out a headset specific problem. 
Has anybody else read elsewhere about similar problems? This forum is quite hard to find and I begin wondering whether I am a member of an elite few who use Macs and have this problem, 'cause that could be nothing to write home about in terms of Microsoft.

Hi B B.  We got your report.  One question is are you using Sierra?  We couldn't repro the issue using the same device but we do have your log files.

Hi spice.  Have you reported the issue using "Help/Report an issue"?  Which device and OS are you using.

Kam Foo Aw: I am on Sierra and my system is fully up to date to the latest version released by Apple.  Would you like to arrange a web session or such to review my system and experience the problem?