Headset Mutes Automatically (16.3.240)

Brass Contributor

Since installing 16.3.240 update a couple days ago every time I start a new voice conversation my headset (Plantronics W740-m) automatically mutes itself.  As soon as it does this once then the headset will mute itself in every other application that includes audio.  If I reboot I can use other applications as normal but as soon as I start Skype for Business and initiate another call it is right back to the same behavior.  This is unbelievably annoying.  Anyone have a fix or is this something Microsoft will need a code change to address?

39 Replies

Just as Spice mentioned I too still experience the issue on the latest fast build.  I also did not have this issue prior to installing .240 build.  I'd suggest more closely examining the mute changes that were made at that time as something done there must have had this unintended consequence.  

Hi!

I have same problem. I´m using latest MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, latest software and Plantronics B825-M. I´ve tried different headset and different way to connect to the computer (USB-C dock, adapters, BT). The problem is still here..

Hello everybody,

the latest update (current build is 16.4.259) occasionally mutes my microphone. I therefore report that the bug is still persistent even though it's been mildly reduced in it's "annoyment level/intensity".

It's unclear why it sometimes mutes and sometimes does not. There does not seem to be a regularity for inbound or outbound calls nor for internal or external calls.

What happens now?

Thanks for any updates! 

Great news!

I've just got the word:
Thank you for taking the time to report this issue; I am sorry any inconvenience this may be causing you.  Our developers have root caused and fixed the issue in 16.5.133.  This build will be coming soon. 

Hi all, This has been fixed in build 16.5.142. Please install the latest build and let us know if you continue to see any issues. Thanks, Chermaine

Updating that on 16.5.142 this still occurs.  

Hi BB,

Can you please go to Help | Report an Issue, and file a ticket?

Thanks, Chermaine

I did this before (it's above in the thread), do you need me to do it again?  My configuration hasn't changed other than updating to the latest fast build.

I will add that with this build it seems to happen less often but it still does occur.  Also, it's quite disturbing that you are affecting other applications running within MacOS, I'm concerned about your (lack of) sandboxing that bugs in Skype are carrying over across the system. 

Yes, please file a new bug so we can get logs from the latest build.  Thanks!

Hi b b. If it still repros in 16.5.172, please file a new bug for this. We will continue to investigate.

I'm on 16.5.185 ... installed the latest patches with delirious joy beacuse of this stupid auto-muting probelm.

It's still there.  And driving me nuts.

SFB for Mac, Jabbra UC voice HC010.

This occasionally happens in our company where we all call with SFB 2016 (windows 10 / O365). To resolve the problem you only have to do the check of the audio in the options for audio in the SFB client. At least that fixes it for us.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your contribute... but you are posting in a MAC thread... 

It is/was about the Skype Mac pre-release client

This worked for me...

right click sound icon in systray

Select Recording

Select Plantronics device

click properties

select the LEVELS tab

Unmute Headset Microphone

@B B 

About a week ago my headset would auto-mute anytime I answered or dialed someone.  Working with support, I installed the Plantronics Hub software and updated to the latest firmware but no change.  While on the phone with support they confirmed my headset was out of warranty and provided a replacement amount, so I thought to try something.

I went into the Ringtones & Volume settings and set "Wearing Preference for Volume Control" from "No Change" to "Right Ear" and clicked Apply.  I then tested the headset and it worked as expected.  My guess is that somehow a setting became corrupt, but applying minor change via the software resolved the corruption.

Good luck.

Has anyone had this issue lately, this came up with a user of ours recently.

Its happening to me now on microsoft teams. Started happening a few days ago.

The issue started to happen after I tried using the headset on macbook pro air.

Now I have this auto unmute behavior. It is frustrating.

@davespringer 

Same issue with the same headset...the weird thing is, I´m running Mac OS Monterey on a Macbook Pro @B B .....

Thanks

Eze

This worked for my wife and her BT700. Every-time she unmuted her headset, it would immediately mute again. Unmuting it from the device properties/levels tab returned the headset to its normal muting/unmuting functionality.