SharePoint Online Modern Document Library - Metadata

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

We have a document library using the modern UI, we have checkout enabled.

If a user selects a file > Clicks teh ellipses > More > Properties, they then proceed to edit all teh metadata fields. Successfully receiving the "SAVED" message.  They close the document properties and move on.  

The problem.  The files metadata was actually not updated, contrary to the "Saved" message.  Turns out if you scroll the properties pane all the way, a not obvious message is displayed, which is ridiculously easy to miss.  It says "Error:The file is not checked out. You must first check out this document before making changes."

We have moved these people from on premise SP2013, which would always prompt users to checkout the file first before modifying the metadata.  But for some reason, online modern UI refuses to make it obvious to users.

This screenshot shows users feedback that the property update was "saved".

screenshot-saved.png 

Now this screenshot is "if" a user scrolls up, there was actually and error saving...screenshot-saved-butnotchecked out.png

Is this a known issue/bug/tough luck kind of thing?

Any help would be appreciated.  

Kind Regards,

Warren

6 Replies
I believe this is by design so if you enable CheckOut for the document library, you need before updating file metadata to force the checkout of the document
Its by design that you have to checkout the document before editing the metadata, I am not contesting that. What I am contesting is that it says saved and silently display the checkout error message, that surely isnt by design and is more just bad UI design.

How can I force the users to checkout the file before editing metadata?

I believe this is an oversight/bug/issue that MS has to address.

I see what you mean and not sure if this is a bug or lack of functionality. I know @Lincoln DeMaris is one of the owners of modern document libraries and he might comment on this

Honestly, the new push with ModernUI is to not use require checkout when editing metadata. With all the new "Required data" view etc. That's kind of seemed to be the push these days.

So with ModernUI is there a way to stop that error then for metadata?

Anyone?  Is this just the way it is, users have to deal with a terrible user interface and poor feedback mechanisms?