SOLVED

Am I in the right place?

Iron Contributor

It seems like there are/were so many different forum and community options for SharePoint and SharePoint Online. Before I start posting like crazy, I'd like ot know I'm in the right place.

I'm a self-described 'Power-User' for my organization. I manage a site collection for about 100 associates and am trying to explore all of the Out Of The Box features I can without having to dabble in any code.

There are a few limitations that I'm looking to overcome and/or work around to solve a few problems. Some of those include removing required fields from lists, finding a better way to reserve resources and understanding why my menu navigation works in the old UI, but not in the modern UI.

Is this the right place to field all of these questions? If so, I'm cannot tell you how happy I am to be here.

7 Replies

There are a lot of people in this community that are just like you. Keep in mind that this is not official technical support and that it may take some time before you get an answer.

You have the right approach, there are thousands of things you can do in SP without writing a single line of code :)

Here are the community guidelines https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Guidelines/Microsoft-Tech-Community-Guidelines/m-p/...

@Dean Gross, thanks for the quick reply. I'll be sure to check out the guidelines.

It seemed to me like there were so many places between TechNet and MSDN that I was never in the right place to ask questions.

As you see me posting and commenting, please feel free to share any guidance you might have. I'll try to contrbiute as well as take a lot of learnings from this community. Looking forward to making this part of my regular work week!

This community is a great place to ask questions to guys like Dean and others that are continuously dealing with similiar scenarios / questions such as the ones you mention
best response confirmed by Peter Mcdermott (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I think of it this way:

Technet is for IT pros, the people that install software

MSDN is for devs, the people that create software

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us is for people that need tech support, but can't/won't pay for it.

This community used to exist in a Yammer network until MS decided to move it last summer, it serves many purposes and has a wide variety of visitors

I may as well add this guide, if you want to know where this community came from, as well as some best practices & tips, then this may be of interest -

Getting Started with the Microsoft Tech Community

(Full disclosure I wrote this article, though since it's a Wiki article, anyone can contribute to it)

Thank you! This is a very comprehensive and helpful guide. Well done!

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the Microsoft Tech Community!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Peter Mcdermott (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I think of it this way:

Technet is for IT pros, the people that install software

MSDN is for devs, the people that create software

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us is for people that need tech support, but can't/won't pay for it.

This community used to exist in a Yammer network until MS decided to move it last summer, it serves many purposes and has a wide variety of visitors

View solution in original post