If Statements For Calculated Column Beyond 19 Nested Cap

Copper Contributor

Hi,
I hope this is the right place I can post this query.  

I'm currently trying to create a calculated column based off three other columns:

1) Country (Selectable from drop down)

2) County (Drop Down) (For use if 'UK' is selected)

3) Existing Partnership (Yes/No)

I want the calculated field to flag if we have existing partnerships within a country or UK region that might be a conflict of interest. For this I've done:

An example for within the UK:
=IF(AND(Country="United Kingdom",County="London",ExistingPartner="No"),"Competition with London based partners" - For each of the counties we have existing operations in.

Example for internationally:

=IF(AND(Country="United States",ExistingPartner="No"),"Competition with American based partners" - For each of the countries we have existing operations.

It works fine up to the 19 nested IF statement cap, and the calculated column shows the appropriate competition message correctly. However, I need more than the 19. When I use the & operator and continue adding IF statements in the same way as above, it will now add a 'FALSE' in the RegionalCompetition column because its looking at the next set of IF statements.

123456.jpg

I appreciate, I might be doing this the incredibly long winded way, and there's a much simpler solution to what I'm trying to achieve, but my main question is, how can I get this to look at all the IF statements without it returning a 'FALSE' for the next batch?

Or is there a simpler way I can write an IF statement such as If Country="X","Y","Z",ExistingPartner="No"?

Or am I better Power Automating this process instead?

Thanks! 

2 Replies

@NM1979 You should be able to do it with calculated columns. Can you share the current formula you are using?

Here's one example showing how to work with more than 19 nested IF statements: https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/231997/what-is-the-workaround-for-limit-in-nested-if-...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@NM1979 wrote:

Hi,
I hope this is the right place I can post this query.  

I'm currently trying to create a calculated column based off three other columns:

1) Country (Selectable from drop down)

2) County (Drop Down) (For use if 'UK' is selected)

3) Existing Partnership (Yes/No)

I want the calculated field to flag if we have existing partnerships within a country or UK region that might be a conflict of interest. For this I've done:

An example for within the UK:
=IF(AND(Country="United Kingdom",County="London",ExistingPartner="No"),"Competition with London based partners" - For each of the counties we have existing operations in.

Example for internationally:

=IF(AND(Country="United States",ExistingPartner="No"),"Competition with American based partners" - For each of the countries we have existing operations.

It works fine up to the 19 nested IF statement cap, and the calculated column shows the appropriate competition message correctly. However, I need more than the 19. When I use the & operator and continue adding IF statements in the same way as above, it will now add a 'FALSE' in the RegionalCompetition column because its looking at the next set of IF statements.

123456.jpg

I appreciate, I might be doing this the incredibly long winded way, and there's a much simpler solution to what I'm trying to achieve, but my main question is, how can I get this to look at all the IF statements without it returning a 'FALSE' for the next batch?

Or is there a simpler way I can write an IF statement such as If Country="X","Y","Z",ExistingPartner="No"?

Or am I better Power Automating this process instead?

Thanks! 

@NM1979 

on which system you are facing this problem?