SOLVED

Excel - check a number and refer in a column to another column

Copper Contributor

Hello. (IF-question)
Desired forms should refer to (driver 1,2,3,4,5,6) on the individual line.
- By enter "1" in column "Q", the amount in "E" is required to copy to "S" associated driver 1. By enter "2" in column "Q", the amount in "E" is required to copy to "T" associated driver 2. By enter "3" in column "Q", the amount in "E" is required to be copy to "U" associated driver 3. and so on ...…
By enter NOTHING, nothing happened.
- IF someone has another easier way to do that, I would be grateful.
6 Replies

Hello,

try this, starting in cell S4. I can't see if the first row of data is row 4, so, if it is another row, please adjust the row number.

=if($Q4=S$3,$E4,"")

Copy this formula across and down. Note how the $ sign is placed in front of the column letters for Q and E, so it will always look in column Q and E when copied across, but it will adjust S to T, to U, etc when copied across. Also note how the row number for S$3 has a $ sign in front of the row , so it will always look in row 3 when the formula is copied down.

In words, the formula says: If the number in column Q in the current row is the same as the number in row 3 of the current column, then get the value in column E of the current row, else return a blank.

Does that help?

Thanks
It did not work :(
See the attached file

Thank you in advance :)

In cell Q5, you will want

=IF($O5=1,$E5,"")

In cell R5, you will want

=IF($O5=2,$E5,"")

and so on, until the first row of columns Q through your last column is filled in. Y ou can then copy down to fill in the other rows, and should give you what you want.  Note that the value changes after the = .

Thanks, but It did not work :(

Something I miss??

Thank you in advance :)

See Attached Excel-file 

best response confirmed by Svein Tore Kristensen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I may not have explained it well, but this is the approach I was taking.

Great!!
Thank you so much
that was exactly what I was looking for
Have a nice day!!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Svein Tore Kristensen (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I may not have explained it well, but this is the approach I was taking.

View solution in original post