need to fix a problem when applying a style to a selected paragraph !!!

Copper Contributor

I am writing a script. so, I use different styles for writing dialogue, character, Action, slug...etc.
when I apply a style on a blank page, it totally works. when I selected a paragraph and apply a style to it, it only changes the font but not the place of the text (dimensions).
for example,
Capture30.PNG

In this pic, I want to change Aml(text) to the character style. when I select it and do the change, it will only change the font but will not move it to the center as it is supposed to be in the style. However, On a blank page, If I change the style to character, the cursor will come at the center. How to solve, please?

7 Replies

Hello @Mohamed_1995 ,

This is a frequent misconception that users have "I want change paragraph formatting so I need to select the text."

This is untrue, especially with styles that are "linked" - meaning the style can be used to style paragraphs as well as characters.

To change or style a paragraph just make it "active" by placing the cursor in it, that's all that needs to be done.

Simply place a cursor within the paragraph, meaning don't select any characters, and apply the style. As soon as you select characters you are telling Word "this selection is what I want you to change". 

To apply a style to multiple paragraphs, then you select the paragraphs. 

@Lenka_Kerumova When I do this method, it changes all the pages and it goes wrong 

Hello @Mohamed_1995 ,

if it does as you say, than your paragraphs are NOT paragraphs.

Your lines are most likely ended by a line-break, hence making your document one huge paragraph.

A paragraph begins by first character after a paragraph mark, and ends with a paragraph mark -

¶.

A single line with text is not a paragraph if it doesn't end with a paragraph mark.

Check your document.

@Mohamed_1995 

You can't apply text alignment using a character style. For that purpose, use a paragraph style which will include not only font formatting (such as font, font size) but also paragraph formatting (such as line spacing, paragraph spacing before/after, text alignment, indentation).

In addition, you may want to ensure that a text range which appears to be a paragraph actually is a paragraph. Click ¶ icon to display nonprinting marks and verify that you see a ¶ symbol where you want a new text paragraph to begin.

@Lenka_Kerumova so, how can I break the huge paragraph to small ones? 

@Mohamed_1995 

Pressing the Enter key creates a paragraph in Word. See also https://shaunakelly.com/word/concepts/rulesfortyping.html.

Display nonprinting marks to see exactly what you are dealing with. You can click the ¶ icon on the Home tab to display these marks, and you'll see that each paragraph ends with a pilcrow, ¶.

Hello @Mohamed_1995 ,

it depends on how your text is broken. For that we need to see a printscreen of the text with the non-printing characters on.

If your lines are broken by line breaks, then the fix is easy: Use Find and Replace (Ctrl+H). Put the line break (^l) into Find and put the paragraph (^p) into Replace.

This will replace all line breaks with paragraph marks.

If you find yourself with extra paragraphs (= empty lines) and you don't want that, open again Find and Replace, put two paragraphs (^p^p) into Find and put one paragraph (^p) into Replace. This will search for two paragraph marks and replace them with one, hence deleting the extra line.

Hope this helps.