Indexing - How to create a muti-level index in WORD

Copper Contributor

I need help -- step-by-step -- creating a multi-level index [NOT a LIST] in a WORD document

7 Replies

@alan_woodruff_nc 

In the Mark Index Entry dialog box (Alt+Shift+X), you can specify a Subentry: 

Stefan_Blom_0-1686487571820.png

This will result in an XE field such as the following: 

Stefan_Blom_1-1686487653354.png

To see the XE fields, you have to display hidden text. For example, you can press Ctrl+Shift+8 to display all nonprinting marks (including, but not limited to, hidden text). 

You can create an XE field from scratch by pressing Ctrl+F9 (or Ctrl+Fn+F9 on some keyboards). Be sure to display hidden text (for example by clicking the ¶ icon on the Home tab to display all nonprinting marks).

If you want more than two levels, you can add them manually by editing the XE field. Use colons as separators. 

Stefan_Blom_2-1686487754721.png

The resulting index will look as follows: 

Stefan_Blom_3-1686487849399.png

Stefan -

Thank you for your response. I am familiar with what you are describing, but I cannot get what I want, I want to create a four level index like the following. Can you possible give me a step-by-step for each level. Much appreciated.

Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4

Entries for level are section headings. I can make the index include each entry, but I cannot make it put entries under the appropriate higher-level title.

Characters [This is an Index entry for which there is no page]
Character Roles [This is a Chapter Name and needs page numbering.]
Protagonist [Each of these is a topic within a chapter and needs page numbering.]
Sceptic
Mentor
Sidekick
Romantic Interest

@alan_woodruff_nc 

As I wrote in my previous reply, this should be no more difficult than adding colons and text to the XE field. Update the index field afterwards. 

However, I suspect that you are describing a table of contents rather than an index. In that case, the key is to make use of heading styles for your text paragraphs and then insert a TOC with the desired number of levels via References tab > Table of Contents group > Table of Contents > Custom Table of Contents. In the dialog box, change the "Show levels" option to 4: 

Stefan_Blom_0-1686505141715.png

@Stefan_Blom 

Thanks again, Stefan,

No, I'm working on an Index, but I was able to figure out how to  do what you told be in your first reply. and I am pleased to say it is working. Thanks again.

@alan_woodruff_nc 

I'm glad you got it sorted. 

Often, with XE fields, the challenge is that they are formatted as hidden, so you can't show or hide them using the ordinary techniques for displaying/hiding field codes. 

@Stefan_Blom I am indexing several names that are all level 4 index with the same hierarchy, but when I update the field instead of listing them under the same levels it lists them separately. Is there a way to fix this? 

Thanks!

Example:

{·XE·"Chordata:Actinopterygii:Teleostei:Alburnus"·}{·XE·"Chordata:Actinopterygii:Teleostei:Alosa"·}{·XE·"Chordata:Actinopterygii:Teleostei:Ameiurus"·}

gives: 

mkmor_1-1700863297486.png

@mkmor 

Your example is working here (Word 2021, version 2310). Take a closer look at the XE field codes. Click the ¶ icon on the Home tab to display all nonprinting marks, including XE fields. Pay particular attention to spaces in the field codes. Perhaps you have inadvertently added a space somewhere, so that the field instructions are not exactly the same. 

Stefan_Blom_0-1700924264207.png