Custom Print of a document with index doesn't work.

Copper Contributor

Since recently we cannot print a range of pages from a document which has an index.

Even a simple 7 page document without sections but with an index doesn't work.

No error message but just does nothing with the command.

The complete document and "Print current page" does work.

Printing via two different branded network-printers, printing to a local attached printer, and even printing to pdf does nothing.

When I just delete the index from the document it does work, but after Undo (CTRL-Z) it doesn't work anymore.

Tested on 3 different machines

Version of mine: Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14228.20216) 64-bit

6 Replies

@de-don 

There is an open bug with printing custom ranges of Word documents. The bug is being investigated by Microsoft. What you can do is post feedback and provide details of the specific symptoms you have encountered. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-....

Thanks!
I just provided feedback as you suggested.
Do you by any change have a link or something to that open bug you mentioned?

@de-don 

The bug has been confirmed by Microsoft and this has been reported in some threads in the Word category of the Microsoft Community (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All). Microsoft hasn't released an official statement on this, though, if that is what you are asking. 

Unable to print a range pages if is present a summery/index on the word docs.

The problem seems to be the References->Summery.

I am not able to print a range of pages on a word file ex. from 5-7 or p5s2-p7s2 if is present a summery reference on it.

If a summery is present (I tried with the file already present in our server but also with new files, I made a new file with new summery) I can print only the entire document or the current page.

If I delete the summery (on the same file I tried before without success) then I can print the range page.

I tried to reinstall the printer driver and also try to print in another print of another office but nothing happened.

I have a Office 2016 plus butI tried to print also in a Office 2019 plus (with another pc here at work), but nothing is happening.

Then if launch the print , in the lower bar does not appear the processing bar of the print that instead appears if I print the entire doc.

here below Office and windows details.

Office is a 2016 Plus version 16.0.14326.20404

Word is a version 2108 (build 14326.20404)

windows is updated:

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 21H1

Installation date: ‎29/‎07/‎2020

Build Operating system 19043.1237

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

@FabioMaddalena 

The following reply by Doug Robbins in the thread at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-cant-print-selected-range-or-individual-... is the most recent information on this bug: 

"It was reported to the Product Team on 21 August and acknowledged by them as a bug in a communication received on 25 August.

The problem arose during updating of some of the very old processes used by Word to make use of more modern coding architectures and practices that will allow the introduction of new features that would not be possible with the old coding, some of which is now going on being 40 years old.

Just reverting to the old code would preclude the introduction of new features and unfortunately, it takes time to work out the bugs in the new code. Too much time many of us would say, but, in the meantime, the work-around for us is to revert to an earlier version and build of our current Office installation or open the document in Word OnLine and print from there."

I have the same problem - for the second time - the first was in January