SOLVED

Can I remove Modern Comments and revert back?

Iron Contributor

My Word (on Microsoft 365) has updated to Modern Comments. I have a number of problems with the useability of these comments, based on the way I have used them in the past (for context, I am an educator and primarily use them when marking student assignments).

• The main issue is that autotext is no longer supported in a comment. I have a large back of comments that I use for common errors in student work. Some of these comments are up to a paragraph, or contain URLs to instructions for certain things. It's incredibly helpful to be able to insert these quickly and will increase my marking time substantially if I can't use them.

• Comments are slow to open. If I open a comment using a keyboard shortcut (on a Windows computer) and start typing, the first one or two letters often gets inserted into the main text

• They don't use the same autocorrect tools as the main text. My typing has evolved to use those features. Two capital letters at the start of a comment don't get corrected, and simple typos don't get corrected

• There are more steps to use them than before. I don't share my documents, so being able to edit comments and post when they're finalised is not particularly useful for me, as no one else is looking at them until I send the document. However, I can't click out of it to finish, I have to click or ctrl+Enter to post. I also can't just click INTO it to edit, I have to click on more buttons.

• It doesn't make sense to only be allowed to edit one comment at a time, particularly if the idea is to not post them until you're ready to share with others. Sometimes in the course of writing one comment, I want to comment on something else first and then come back to the previous comment. You're forced to finish one first, to the standard you're happy for others to see, defeating the purpose of not having to post until it's finished. Why not allow multiple to be in draft?

• If I forget to post and try to type a new comment, it pulls me back to my previous comment and starts typing, making me lose my spot where I wanted the next comment

• It has added an extra space to the side of the document, which wouldn't be an issue except that making any formatting changes under tracked change, which I often also do when marking assignments, goes into the ORIGINAL pane where comments use to be, widening the document even further (extra space for formatting, then another extra space for comments). My computer screen isn't large enough to cope with the extra width.

• Once I post a comment, it's still selected. There have been a number of times I've posted a comment then tried to ctrl+F something in the document, but it won't respond to my ctrl+F. Not something that is necessarily a huge issue but it is annoying and I can't see the purpose for keeping a comment selected when it's posted and non-responsive.

Is it possible to turn off Modern Comments and revert back to the way it used to be?

220 Replies
@Lenka_Kerumova How is this good news? A temporary toggle to opt out? And after that?

I’ve got legacy comments back. Turned off auto updates. Fingers crossed that is enough. A bunch of new keyboard shortcuts? Nope. Don’t want anything to do with Modern Comments. It’s a disaster to my work flow. I’ve gotten more done this week than I have since this started.

@chiara369 

It depends on which Channel you are on, but from what I've read so far, I don't think you need to worry about it.

Here is another article:

Introducing Modern Comments in Microsoft Word - Page 7 - Microsoft Tech Community

Hallelujah! I also have "classic" comments back, without doing anything... somebody at Microsoft listened!!!:grinning_face:

@DSDAS1840 I was happy to see them again too. But the way I’m reading this, it’s only temporary. October. They’ll be baaaack. ARGH
Gosh I hope not....they just need a toggle/button to use "Classic comments"---not rocket science!
What a disaster if we cannot have classic comments for the long run...new comments are so inefficient in their effort to look like groovy on-line stuff. Sometimes simple is better

I use Word for Mac, and my Comments just switched over into "Modern Comments" mode. I'm a professional editor, and this change is really disruptive for my work. Has anyone found a way to switch back to Classic Comments?

@Takver You've missed a lot! I too am a professional editor (freelance) who ranted and raved for days (Maybe it was weeks or even months) over this abomination. Go back through the thread if you need a giggle. It's comic gold. As well as a deep trough of anger and indignation. But, I digress from your original point: Can you get rid of Modern Comments? 

On a Mac, I'm clueless. As for my PC, at some point @Microsoft put in a toggle to allow reverting to old style (workable!) comments. I have done that, but have now turned off auto updates. If they ever revert back to Modern Comments and remove the toggle, I'm hoping I'll miss out on it. 

I wish I could be more help. As I said, read through the many many posts. Maybe you'll find something useful. Also, since I I was able to return to the old (efficient) comment format my editing life is once again my happy place :) Good luck!

There is a petition (or was?) out there somewhere, but I can't add the link or I'll get sent to the naughty chair. Shouldn't be hard to find :) 

Thanks *chiara369* for starting this thread and for your meticulous comment. You have captured all the problems with this particular feature.

This update happened very unexpectedly for me: the computer crashed and upon restart, the comments first appeared to be gone altogether, then finally figured out how to get them back. It looks like that, on Mac, it's hard to view them in Print View -- have to toggle between Draft and Print views for the comments to become available.

And I agree with everyone here, the 'modern comments' are TERRIBLE. Microsoft keeps introducing "updates" for the sake of changing things without asking real users about functionality. The program is becoming more and more resource-heavy. Already in the previous version, the comments were worse than in previous versions. Sometimes it's good to keep things they way they are: car designers don't move the cupholder large enough to accommodate a bucket or make the steering wheel so thickly padded that the driver can put her hands around it.

I work as a copy-editor, and often leave lengthy comments. The "modern comments" are counterproductive: they take up too much space, as chiara369 explained...MICROSOFT, this is not a working document not a chat session! At least make this feature optional.

There are a lot of people like me who are condemned to using MS Word for work -- editors, copy-editors, publishers, writers... -- and the program, rather than becoming lighter and more user friendly, is getting Worse and worse.

This is just one in a series of very bad decisions and changes that neglect program functionality and user needs. Does anyone remember the nifty feature called "clipboard", for example, that allowed one to store up to 24 chunks of text in memory? How hard would it have been for Microsoft to maintain that? But no, it was too useful, so it had to go.

When the "ribbons" came in I was very unhappy because they take up so much space. I have never got used to them and learned to create small shortcuts in the top portion of the file bar. They used to appear in color, but then, surprise surprise, Microsoft turned them monochrome making them much less legible: for instance if you have the highlighter in the shortcuts you can't see what color it is.

Using Ms Word has been one long frustrating experience.

Now, the most recent update makes the program almost unusable on a 13 inch monitor. You need to have 27 inch monitor to view text at a comfortable size while accommodating all the other toolbars, sidebars, ribbons...

Can you make older versions available -- I would happily revert to Word 2011.
I don't have that button. Please help... I've typed "classic comments" into HELP and it only generates "how to use modern comments" grr...
I'm a professional editor, as well, and have been struggling with ever-new "improvements" to Word. When copy-editing, for instance, I have to enter "typecodes" to format a given chunk of text (e.g. PI for indented paragraph, using a preloaded publisher's template): these typecodes used to go into the box where you had "Normal" style, and now typing those in, especially with longer typecodes, like CHBM:APN (chapter backmatter appendinx number) it takes for ever, 6x as long as actually typing that string of letters into a document).
Just wondering, do you experience other problems like this as well? (I also use Mac -- until recently was also using Word 2011, but even though I had it downloaded via 365, it started asking me to input a key...).
Anyway, more frustrations than necessary. This week I'm working on an index, and ended up coughing up $117 for a third-party program because Word was so slow that I realized I would never finish...
(Sorry about the rant, but I was actually hoping maybe to start a "club" for editors, copy-editors etc. and as a group pressure Microsoft to rollback some of these changes or maybe release a version of Word that is a working tool rather than an imitation of an iphone app...)

@aileverte I can't say that in general, I'm having problems with word...I'm not a power user--but modern comments was a shockingly bad implementation. 

Another educator here. This "update" is a "downdate" for those of us who don't share, except with one student at a time. It is unwieldy, time-consuming and frustrating. Why can't we simply undo the update and revert to Track Changes as it was?
Since the Mac doesn't have a registry file, I'm wondering if someone could help me delete these? Anyone have an easy, low-tech approach? Also, do we know which version of Office is the one to go back to? Thanks so much!
I'm a word for mac user. Can you tell me where Word's "Options dialog" is located? Can't find it, and I'm desperate! Thanks!

@chiara369 

I have posted a thread on Twitter about this, also including a link to this community thread. If you use Twitter, please retweet it / like it. I am fed up with Microsoft making the tool I have to use every day less and less usable, more and more resource heavy, and only a massive user response will get them to listen. 

https://twitter.com/aileverte/status/1442136158964748296

I have also posted a reply to Microsoft's tweet:

https://twitter.com/Microsoft/status/1390071306364891138

Thanks for RT!

Sorry, but the first twitter link you posted isn't going anywhere...:\