SOLVED

Annoying problem with drop caps

Copper Contributor

I am working on a book manuscript that'll be uploaded eventually to Kindle.  I love drop caps and have really want to use them in my book.

I'm running into a problem I cannot solve.  The dropped caps look fine in just a normal default Word document, but when I try using a Kindle 6x9" Word template, the drop caps all end up falling vertically into the paragraph, as shown in the below screen snapshot.  What should be happening here is that the letter "C" in college should be aligned with the top of the first line in the paragraph.  This is what happens normally in Word documents, until I started using this cursed template.  I can't find any settings anywhere in Word that allow me to specify how drop caps should be aligned or formatted.

Any and all help appreciated.  TIA

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 6.29.38 PM.png

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Mark_Alsip (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Mark_Alsip If you click on the frame surrounding the Drop Cap, you can move it to the desired location.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1700823475288.png

Doh! OMG that was so obvious and I am so embarrassed to have missed it, Thank you so much Doug. Works like a charm. I'm really kicking myself because I claim proficiency in Photoshop and looking at that frame, this is EXACTLY what I would have done in PS to fix the problem.

Many thanks. Hope I can pay the advice forward one day!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mark_Alsip (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Mark_Alsip If you click on the frame surrounding the Drop Cap, you can move it to the desired location.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1700823475288.png

View solution in original post