Software Center & self service

Copper Contributor

I'm curious if there is a technical guidance on accomplishing this scenario or if its "designed" to do the following Software Center self service scenario: Individuals (Windows 10 Enterprise endpoints customers) can determine they are ready to receive some (and self serve 3rd party software) or all of the available 3rd party (and or windows quality, security, Feature Updates) updates for their machine at a particular time. If the amount of time for an update is past the expected install date, that update automatically executes for their machine within a maintenance window.

6 Replies
Hi, could you expand on your scenario a bit please? maybe with an example?

Rob
Hi @dfir-jesseee

I think I understand your question, but please feel free to expand or clarify if I'm off-base.

Software Center is simply a user portal showing items that the IT Admin has deployed to a device or user. Deployments are listed if they are detected as "applicable". For software updates, including third-party updates, the update includes detection rules that determine whether or not the update is applicable. Similarly, Applications include detection methods that determine applicability. If a deployed update or Application is not applicable, it won't be shown at all in Software Center.

The user can always go into Software Center and initiate deployments listed there at their convenience. If the IT admin has configured a deployment as Required, then the ConfigMgr agent will automatically enforce the deployment at the deadline time specified for that deployment without any user intervention.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought that was an example? Ok so in other words: Admins that are configuring Software Center inside Microsoft EndPoint Configuration Manager to deploy to end users Win10 machines would prefer allowing the enduser to update via the Software Center since we don't know when enduser will be able to get updates of software that won't interferer with their work. However some endpoint users may not opt to update so admins of Microsoft EndPoint Configuration Manager Software center need to have a deadline if the enduser doesn't update via software center the 3rd party software that is in there. Hope that helps explain more. Maybe this resource explains (provides) the answers I need, is that right??? https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/video-hub/the-how-to-guide-for-managing-windows-updates/m-p/2....
OK, so exactly as I described. Users can always do this as long as you configure the deadline time for the deployment to be after the available time. The available time is when the users will see the deployments in Software Center and the deadline time is when the deployment will be automatically enforced by the ConfigMgr client agent on the device. The time in between is the time period when users will be able to manually initiate the enforcement of the deployment. This applies to all deployment types including software updates (which includes third-party updates).
Hi Jason_Sandys,
Thank you for the feedback. That is a good interpretation. Sorry I wasn't clearer, but you got it.

I think the other piece I didn't explain well was the warning (notification) to users that the application is (applicable) available to install. Will there be a notification when 3rd party apps are ready for end users to install/update?
Yes. Notifications for required deployments are automatic as long as you haven't disabled them on the deployment. Notification intervals are configured in client settings: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/clients/deploy/about-client-settings#user-notifi....