SOLVED

b25951 - ReFS 3.10 volume became RAW, REFSUtil not compatible with v 3.10

MVP

Dear WS Insider Team, community

I have upgraded lab instance my WS 2022 to WS vNext b25xxx.

Everything went fine. I did a second IPU as the vNext version was about to expire.

the server has physical disks

Samsung 990 Pro - driveletter H, ReFS 3.10, 64k

Samsung 990 Pro - mounted as directory on driveletter H, ReFS 3.10, 64k ( now changed to d: )

Samsung 860 Evo - driveletter C, NTFS, 4k, WS vNext.

After IPU from WS a former vNext to b25951 the ReFS volume H became in a RAW state.
The one that was linked is still healthy (but did not contain data)

ReFSutil salvage does not work as it throws it is incompatible with this ReFS version 3.10 both volumes have.

K_WesterEbbinghaus_0-1696628855011.png

K_WesterEbbinghaus_2-1696628924007.png

since this is a lab, other than loosing some not productive data but time, I would like to ask for two things
1. how can I salvage this drive?

2. is it expected that refsutil is not yet ready with the latest version of ReFS?

Thank you for your time. Otherwise no backup, no mercy :|

7 Replies
I will try if an upgrade to the lastest b25967 does heal anything, but since there is no ReFS upgrade, i believe "the Panther" won't touch anything.
I have started from scratch accepting the data loss. Any news from Microsoft about the update needed for ReFSutil?
best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus (MVP)
Solution

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus two issues:

1. Why did 3.10 refs refuse to mount the volume?

There should be events in system event logs, and refs operational logs indicating the reason.

2. Why didn't refsutil salvage work?

Current inbox salvage is not yet compatible with 3.10 refs. We are working on it. If you are willing to test a private refsutil, please let us know.

Hi @RajDas_FS as I have moved on, I cannot check anymore but what differed from one of the two ReFS 3.10 Volumes affected that the one that got in RAW state after IPU had a the second volume as mounting point.

Such as 

D:\Hyper-V 1(native volume 1)

D:\Hyper-V 2(mounting point volume 2 on volume 1.

I understand it's an uncommon scenario but it made it easier for Management purposes, and shouldn't cause a problem. Not saying it was the cause but that could be explaining this rare state. 

As for ReFS salvage as I don't have the RAW volume anymore, being interested into it, is rather of theoretical nature at the moment. Good to know, though, this is a known limitation at the moment.

@RajDas_FS 

Hi,

I now have this issue after installing the latest updates on a production copy of Windows 11, I'd be willing to try the private refsutil as I've lost my live copies and my backups.
TIA

Hi @RajDas_FS ,

While I'm not suffering from the same problem indicated in this thread, I'm trying to use the dedup functionality and it's failing. I'm willing to test a private version of refsuti if there's still one available.

I understand and accept that it could cause all my data to disappear etc.

Regards,

Matthew

@RajDS_FS, are you able to provide me with a private refsutil as well? For some reason my REFS drive just turned RAW, and it is on v3.10. I need to try to recover my files. Do we have an ETA on when the updated REFSutil that works on v3.10 gets released?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus (MVP)
Solution

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus two issues:

1. Why did 3.10 refs refuse to mount the volume?

There should be events in system event logs, and refs operational logs indicating the reason.

2. Why didn't refsutil salvage work?

Current inbox salvage is not yet compatible with 3.10 refs. We are working on it. If you are willing to test a private refsutil, please let us know.

View solution in original post