Windows Server 2016 with MultiPoint Services Role Upgrade to Windows Server 2019

Copper Contributor

I need to perform an upgrade of Windows Server 2016 Standard to Windows Server 2019 Standard.  I understand that this is a supported upgrade path.  However, I'm running the MultiPoint Services role on the Windows 2016 Server and I know that Windows 2019 Server does not have this role.  I do have valid RDS CALs installed on the 2016 server. 

Does anyone know if I can perform a successful upgrade considering my existing setup with the MultiPoint role?  I would be fine if the MPS role was converted to the standard RDS setup.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

4 Replies

The RDS CAL for your users or devices must be compatible with the version of Windows Server that the user or device is connecting to. You can't use RDS CALs for earlier versions to access later versions of Windows Server, but you can use later versions of RDS CALs to access earlier versions of Windows Server. For example, an RDS 2016 CAL or higher is required to connect to a Windows Server 2016 RD Session Host, while an RDS 2012 CAL or higher is required to connect to a Windows Server 2012 R2 RD Session Host.

License your RDS deployment with client access licenses (CALs) | Microsoft Learn  

That makes sense. I just wonder if the upgrade will even work. Buying new CALs is easier and faster than rebuilding all of the profiles.
 I just wonder if the upgrade will even work. 

It might but then you'll likely still have nothing more than a bare bones windows server. A clean install is always recommended.  

@Shepcon just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to close up the thread here by marking helpful replies.