SOLVED

Transfer Windows Server Essentials 2016 OEM disk to fresh PC

Copper Contributor

I've gone from Windows Home Servers (both versions) to Windows Server Essentials 2012 to 2016 and would have kept on going if Microsoft had kept client backup in the product.  My wife and I keep all important documents on the network drive and the very few times I needed it, client restore worked.  Unfortunately our current server is dying.  I just noticed that the CD I used to install it on the computer is marked OEM.  My question is, can I remove WSE 2016 from my account and use the same key to install it on another PC, or do I need to find another WSE 2016 for sale.   Thanks.

6 Replies

Generally, OEM licenses die with the hardware but you'll need to ask the OEM provider about the specifics of this license.    

@Dave Patrick I am pretty sure I just bought this from Newegg many years ago.  I did not notice that the CD was marked OEM until now.  I doubt Newegg can tell me anything about the license.  It does not appear to be manufactured for HP machines, or any other particular computer manufacturer.

@ArtinNC then go ahead, install it, activate and move on.      

slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
slmgr /ato

@ArtinNC just checking if there's any progress or updates? please don't forget to mark helpful replies.     

I ran slmgr.vbs -dli License type came back as OEM_COA_NSLP. I was the system builder and built the system for myself. Although I don't see anywhere in the license terms where it specifically states that I can't replace the system if it goes bad, Google seems to say otherwise.
best response confirmed by ArtinNC (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ArtinNC NSLP == Non system locked version. Likely isn't transferable "legally" YMMV    

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ArtinNC (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ArtinNC NSLP == Non system locked version. Likely isn't transferable "legally" YMMV    

View solution in original post