Stop DFS replication and remove data from one server

Copper Contributor

Hi,

two servers, both servers on the same domain. DFS is setup to replicate between both servers.

How do I stop the replication and delete the files from one of the servers, while keeping the data intact on the other server, without causing a mess and potentially making the shares unavailable or experiencing data loss? DFS can stay, just the replication needs to stop. I'm aware how to stop DFS:

1. Open the DFS Management console.

2. Expand the Replication.

3. Select your replication group(s).

4. Right-click on each member server and select Disable.

But this will still leave me with the data on both servers, won't it? I want to reclaim the space by deleting the data off of one of the servers because it's quite a lot and the space is needed elsewhere.

Thanks!

6 Replies
It will still have the replication relationship and keep the data on both servers, but won't replicate anymore if you choose Disable. You have to determine on what server you want to keep the data, change the DFS target to only point to that, and then you can remove the share and data on the other server
Did you manage to stop replication and get the needed space back?
Hi Harm,
I am in the same situation as Lussy150 and want to continue this thread.
I am in the same process of removing replication from two servers and just want to make sure that I don't lose any data from the main server.

From above if I disable replication it will still leave data on both servers, correct? I noticed when I was going to disable one of the members it warn me not to enable replication afterwards. My guess would be because if i deleted files on the second server (that I want to remove) and then enabled replication it would remove the files from the first server. That makes sense.
So there's more to this than replication. Let me explain.

I have two servers:
Server 1 (main one) Server 2019
Server 2 (old one to remove) Server 2016

I have replication between these two servers to a share on each server
Server 1 Share = c:\data2020$
Server 2 = Data2020backup

I also have a name space = Data2020NS sharing the two shares above
Eventually I want to remove this namespace too.

Finally I see within my dfs management console that my "Domain System Volume" is being replicated. Is this normal to show up in the DFS management console? I know through AD that the DSV are shared but never knew they showed up in the DFS management console.

So, first thing would be the removal of replication.

Any comments?

Thanks
Steve
Correct, it will be on two locations but not in sync anymore. You can remove the Namespace or point it to just one server (Data 2020NS). The DSV is visible in the DFS management tools if it was upgraded from FRS to DFRS or was created in 2012 or higher.
Hi Harm,

Thank you for the response, I will move forward on disabling the replication.

Also I realized that server 2 is running Server 2012 R2 not Server 2016. That explains the DSV appearance in the DFS management tool.

So ,first thing first, disable the replication on both servers and DO not enable again.

Thanks Steve