Server 2019 odd problem accessing shares

Copper Contributor

Hi

I've got a really odd problem with a Server 2019 install I inherited.  I'll be as brief as possible to describe it:

Dell Server with Server 2019 Standard (Core) running Hyper-V

2 x Server 2019 Standard Guest Server with AD & RD

Windows 10 client PC's

The 2019 servers have some file shares on with the required permissions etc. and the Windows 10 PC's can access these fine.  The 2 x Server 2019 can view the shares on each other OK but when I try and create a new file or save a file in any share I get:

"Unable to create the file "xx"  The system cannot find the file specified"

A few seconds after clicking OK the file does actually get created but with 0 bytes.  I installed a new Server 2019 guest as a test and exactly the same problem!  I'm logging in as Administrator in all cases and if I do this from a Windows 10 PC then it works fine.

If I try and create a new folder I get:

"Could not find this item  This is no longer located in xxx.  Verify the items location and try again"

I've 20+ years working with AD so pretty sure it's not permissions related and as I said from a Windows 10 PC (even one virtualised on the same host as a test) the shares work fine.  It just seems to be Server 2019 to Server 2019.  I've disabled all GPO, uninstalled anti-virus, disabled Firewall etc etc. but no change.

The most annoying thing is I'm sure I've had this problem before and fixed it with a reg setting or similar.

Any help or suggestions after many wasted hours greatfully received.

Andy.

0 Replies