SOLVED

Run Windows Updates with Powershell Remotely

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I'm kind of new to Powershell, and trying to automate some stuff.
I found one nice Powershell module named PSWindowsUpdate to manage Windows Updates. I need to create some automated updating for my servers, which are around 50.

Everything runs fine locally, but I started to search on how to write a script to do it remotely, but from what I've read that has a lot of issues, due to permissions related to remote updating.

I create a remote session with "Enter-PSSession -ComputerName <servername>. But when I run the command "Install-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID <kbID> -AcceptAll -Install" I get this error:

"Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WindowsUpdate], UnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,PSWindowsUpdate.GetWindowsUpdate"

I've been reading and understand that the problem is related to a permissions issue on powershell and remote updating.

I've read some topics about it, and in some there a solution presented, which is JEA. So I've followed this code to run on the server side:
"

New-PSSessionConfigurationFile -RunAsVirtualAccount -Path .\VirtualAccount.pssc
# Note this will restart the WinRM service:
Register-PSSessionConfiguration -Name 'VirtualAccount' [-ShowSecurityDescriptorUI] -Path .\VirtualAccount.pssc -Force
# Check the Permission property:
Get-PSSessionConfiguration -Name 'VirtualAccount'
# Those users will have full unrestricted access to the system!

But I got this error:
"Register-PSSessionConfiguration : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '[-ShowSecurityDescriptorUI]'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Register-PSSessionConfiguration -Name 'VirtualAccount' [-ShowSecurity ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Register-PSSessionConfiguration], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RegisterPSSessionConfigurationCommand"

So, my question is if everyone knows why do I get this error while registering the PSSessionConfiguration and also, if someone has any different solution for the topic.

Thanks

6 Replies
Install-WindowsUpdate has a parameter Computername, so you could use it like that :

Install-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID <kbID> -AcceptAll -Install -ComputerName server.domain.name
Thanks for the reply. Apparently that's not possible due to some limitation described in some forums:
"When you are in a remote PowerShell session your logon session on this remote computer is flagged as a "network" logon (Logon Type: 3). For some obscure (security? sell SCCM?) reason, part of the Windows Update Agent COM APIs are restricted to only be usable by locally logged on Administrators.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wua_sdk/using-wua-from-a-remote-computer"

So each time I run that command, always got this error:
"Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WindowsUpdate], UnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,PSWindowsUpdate.GetWindowsUpdate"

That's the reason why I need some alternative.
Hi @dmarquesgn

I think the best approach in here is using WSUS in your Company.
So no need for PowerShell to do that.

best response confirmed by dmarquesgn (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Thanks for the tip.
I would like to avoid WSUS, as it also has some challenges, and at the same time I would learn more on Powershell.

Meanwhile I was already able to use a command to update remotely, now I need to deal with errors and logging, which is not so good at the moment.

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts –Value * -Force
$Script = {Get-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID KB4535680 -AcceptAll -Install -Verbose | Out-File C:\Temp\PSWindowsUpdate.log}
Invoke-WUjob -ComputerName <computername> -Script $Script -Confirm:$false -RunNow

@dmarquesgn 

great topic, would you mind sharing the code you got so far and some details of how it works?

cheers.

@andrefilipe90 

Hi, how are you?

To be honest, I didn't developed much more on that, as we turned into a low cost but very effective tool for that goal, which was PDQ.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dmarquesgn (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Thanks for the tip.
I would like to avoid WSUS, as it also has some challenges, and at the same time I would learn more on Powershell.

Meanwhile I was already able to use a command to update remotely, now I need to deal with errors and logging, which is not so good at the moment.

Set-Item WSMan:\localhost\Client\TrustedHosts –Value * -Force
$Script = {Get-WindowsUpdate -KBArticleID KB4535680 -AcceptAll -Install -Verbose | Out-File C:\Temp\PSWindowsUpdate.log}
Invoke-WUjob -ComputerName <computername> -Script $Script -Confirm:$false -RunNow

View solution in original post