Possible virus - discoloured bookmarks icons in Edge and Chrome

Copper Contributor

Hi

I think my desktop and laptop may be infected with a virus - in both edge and chrome icons are appearing with discoloration (please see photo) - It is happening on the laptop as well as desktop.  It's the youtube icon that is altered but some others are changed too - when hovering over the the other icons they appear normal.

Apart from these discoloured icons all other computer functions seem ok.

I've done a full scan with defender and malware bytes and they were both clear - can anyone recommend what next steps should be taken?

EDIT:  Forgot to say my laptop is running Windows 10 and desktop is running Windows 11.

discoloured icons.jpg

5 Replies

Hey, I have this too since about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed it affects Youtube and Reddit icons in chrome and edge. Firefox and Opera are unaffected. I haven't noticed any other change. Did you ever find anything out about this?

@Dewsf 

Hi - glad I am not the only one...  Same here with reddit icons.  Have found no solution and have run plenty of virus scans...

I just now found this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/antivirus/comments/10bfdrn/is_this_some_kind_of_virus_on_my_chrome_browser/

Struppigel's comment solved my problem, specifically this:
"Enter chrome://flags

In Force Color Profile and choose scRGB

Relaunch Chrome"

Apparently a chrome bug and not a virus according to this guy, although edge is still effected, but I don't use that so doesn't bother me. There might be a similar solution for edge but I haven't tried.

Thank you for the info - do you happen to be running colour calibration software?
No problem. Hmm, I don't think so. Although I have in the past used some kind of "dark-mode chrome extension", but I removed it months ago. I am not very technical so I might be running stuff without knowing/remebering tbh.