Microsoft Driver Latency

Copper Contributor

Hi I thought I would ask here about latency in Windows OS Kernel level.

I have confirmed on two machines I own, and with several people online with different gear that we are all experiencing the same issues.

Using the app LatencyMon to check on things we found that the Windows drivers seem to trip up.

This is regardless of what hardware we use also. It also is exactly the same from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

My old desktop:
Phenom II era 8 core FX series CPU with 12 GB ram
SSD OS drive.
RX580 GPU

I have reformatted and freshly reinstalled Windows 10 Pro updated every possible thing I could and with only a keyboard and mouse connected no other apps except LatencyMon and when I check I get high latency from USBport 1.1 and 2.0, HDAudiobus, and others.

My laptop:
9th gen i7 12 core CPU
16 GB Ram
RTX 2070 GPU 8 GB DDR6
2 ssd drives
M17 Alienware machine..

Has LatencyMon and the software from Dell, Intel, and Alienware on it. All of those directly linked to the manufacturer for ongoing updates. Everything is as up to date as possible. Firmware, drivers, and anything else.

I run LatencyMon and the same exact drivers are hitting well into the red zone.

It may not be enough with no other apps accessing these drivers, but it isn't helping things run smoother.

I have been trying to do my best rooting out the actual issues.

From all I read many different softwares can trigger that ever present system wide latency, not just one particular app.

So my thinking is: what is the one constant that all users facing this have in common.

We all use the Windows OS.

Systinternals has Process Explorer that helps show more details, and years back found that 2 drivers had been massive issues. Both doing with HD Audio and HD Video from DirectX.

Direct X sadly still appears at times.

Is it possible to treat the Windows Kernel drivers as real-time to see if that might stop or greatly reduce these latency issues.

Also, can't the Kernal keep track of latency and before it becomes an issue immediately alert the end user to the situation, with the trouble making drivers, and other issues that triggered them to go into the red...

Think UV meter for sound. Instead of getting distortion or clipping you get a heads up an issue is happing that if corrected now may avoid system crashes and latency issues.

With this information we as the end users are able to share it with any 3rd party app devs and Microsoft so hard working, over worked, under paid kernel devs can hopefully fix things also more accurately.

I first encountered system wide latency issues soon after we started going HD Video and HD Audio in Windows 7. Unfortunately this issue has not gotten any better over the years.

And, I am currently using Windows 11 Beta on my laptop. It has the exact same issues.

Changing the shell is little more than changing the paint on a car. Or, curtains in wondows of a house.

Real features would be eliminating the ongoing latency issues. Adding components that connect to actual manufacturers sights allow us to download drivers or have the OS alert us they are ready.

If Dell, Intel, and others provide them so the maze of drivers are properly updated and saves untold users from Drive Easy and the like as well as reduce the endless posts to Microsoft about the never ending latency issues...

A friend online has a much nicer rig than my laptop, also in Windows 11 beta - I think gen 11 i9 10 or 12 core cpu, 32 GB ram, RTX 3090 we are talking top of the line here.

Exactly the same latency issues.

This is probably one of the biggest issues to overcome for Windows.

Any chance that is possible?

Thanks for reading my book here, I am a little frustrated with this, and Linux is looking nicer everyday.

Jon

0 Replies