Desktop stuck in an infinite boot loop

Copper Contributor

I tried a recovery disk but it wont boot the disk , it is caused by me holding down the power button during a Bios update my screen was off and I thought it had powered off for some reason so I thought I was powering it on when infact that was not the case

4 Replies

Hi @millerk101881,

This can be a tricky issue to resolve, but here are some steps you can try to fix the issue:

1. Hard Reset: First, try a hard reset of your computer. Turn off the power, unplug it from the wall, and then hold the power button down for about 15 seconds. This should discharge any residual power and help reset the system.

2. BIOS Recovery: If your BIOS update was interrupted, you may need to perform a BIOS recovery. The exact steps for this process vary depending on your motherboard and BIOS manufacturer, so consult your motherboard's manual for specific instructions. Typically, it involves using a specific key combination or a dedicated jumper to initiate the recovery process.

3. Remove CMOS Battery: Another potential step is to remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard for a few minutes. This can help reset BIOS settings to their default values.

4. Boot from USB: If you have a recovery USB drive, try booting from it. You mentioned that you tried a recovery disk, but if it's not booting, it might not be properly configured or the boot order in BIOS might not be set correctly.

5. Check Hardware: Ensure that all your hardware components (RAM, hard drive/SSD, graphics card, etc.) are properly seated. Sometimes, loose components can cause boot issues.

6. Repair Windows: If you manage to boot from a recovery USB, you can try repairing Windows using the built-in tools. You can choose options like "Startup Repair" or "System Restore" to fix Windows issues.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic I have a similar issue, though holding the power button does nothing, so I cannot force it out of the loop.  I'm going to let it run and hope that after the battery dies I can restart.  If not, any advice?  This is after a factory reset. 

Thanks,

Chris

@Crhaag Same issue here too. Asus laptop went into a Windows update but been stuck into a continuous restart cycle ever since. 

Triggered Asus automatic recovery and get 

IMG_2314.jpeg

Can access BIOS but appears no safe mode on these??. Not done anything with MS in years not sure if thats normal now?. 

@Jonesy1878 I have the same issue, except I tried resetting the PC... Everything was going smoothly and it Hits this point, it restarted few times I thought that was normal

Then it continued like for half and hour or so.... And it has been in that loop since then 🥲

17154686027499043481858669777544.jpg