Windows Insider Program Exit - Help Needed.

Copper Contributor

Advice sought!

Somehow my surface pro 9 was enrolled to the insider program and ever since I started to receive updates for the same, the computer freaked out. The screen freezes, endless sliding of the video frames on the apps / web pages have become a normal routine which caused a great frustration.

So to be able to exit, I can use the local recovery for a totally clean wipe out. But here comes the million dollar question.

During the preparation for resetting, the computer in red pop-up prompts "Recent Update. This PC was recently updated. If you continue with Reset this PC, you won't be able to undo the update."

So what on earth does this mean? Is this limiting the capacity of my PC for future updates, i.e., Win 12 or similar? If I continue under this prompt, will I be bricking my PC?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

Haluk. 

6 Replies
For better assistance, can you share the screenshot for preparing reset prompt.

Alternatively, you can turn On the "Unenroll this device when the next version of Windows releases" option at Settings > Windows Update > Windows Insider Program.

@Kapil Arya

Hi mate.

Thanks for the response. Please see my further comments.

The infamous "unenroll" has been grayed out and there is no way to make if work. Please see the screenshot.

Likewise, please also see the "recovery / reset" screenshots.

So, it appears there is no real solution to get rid of the insider program unless you reinstall win 11. Hence, the question on my end is still valid; what is the message on screenshot number 4?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 140110.pngScreenshot 2023-12-01 140522.png1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

@halukenginar  

Recovery in this case is a waste of time, it is the Canary channel , performing a clean install of the public version of Windows is the only solution. Windows 11 Clean Installation (microsoft.com)

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 26002 (Canary Channel) | Windows Insider Blog

I assume Reset will install same build again, and won't be helpful for you in this case as you want to exit WI build and return to stable version. As a last option, you'd need to make clean install of stable version.

Refer my community guide for detailed steps: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-clean-install-of-windows-11/789f68...
That is inevitable as it seems. Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.