SOLVED

Unable to stop Windows 11 update

Copper Contributor

Hey, I signed up for the Windows Insider Program and got the Windows 11 Preview 10.0.22000.100 (co_release). There were some glitches in the taskbar and I could not have this occurring as I needed my laptop for work. I decided to go back to Windows 10 and leave the Windows Insider Program. However, when I switched back to Windows 10, it keeps giving me the Windows 11 Preview 10.0.22000.100 (co_release) and updating for itself. How do I stop the update as I would like to remain with Windows 10?

59 Replies

@Le_Tung_Long me too

I recommend not contacting MicrosoftSupport for this problem because I went thru it for over 90 minutes of remote-desktop to no avail.
S/he first actually stopped my netsvc and then disabled it. <HEY!> Lucky I questioned these actions and re-enabled them.
Next, s/he disabled all updates. <HEY!> "How would I get my other updates like security updates?"
Next s/he told me that I would have to continue to defer updates every 7 days'. <HEY!> I just got tasked a dirty microsoft job!
Next s/he advised me that I can always 'Reset' my Win10Pro. <HEY!> I asked "I am gonna do what? And with all of the currently installed/migrated (window7+8) programs?"
You see where I am getting with this 90-minute assist job that did nothing to fix the problem...????
Please make sure to either 'image' your current OS drive and/or do a system restore (and often) in case of a reboot which may force another InsiderPreview Win11 update to your Win10 during next boot-up (upon power failure, etc.)
I have the best solution
if you are in the insider account, sure you will be signed in with your Microsoft account
leave the insider program, delete all the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download by clicking shift+delete, and then sign into a local acoount
that's all your headache is over
it shows that error in windows 11 preview
pls reply if you find out this solution useful.
Okay, finally I was able to STOP my Windows10Pro from CONTINUALLY trying to force me to 'UPDATE' to ipWin11, on next REBOOT.
First, pause/delay Update to the max (7 days? Win10Home?).
Next, do a Create a SystemRestore and back-up your Registry.
The process is two-prong >>
#1.Unregister/stop your participation in InsiderPreview (ip),
#2.Disable Win ip Build Settings. using procedures here >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63585-enable-disable-insider-build-settings-windows-10-a.html
I used the GroupPolicyEditor option with success.

@Sachinv2223 

What I did was the following (without downloading any registry):

Left the Insider Program

Reboot

Went to windows update, look for additional updates which causes the updater to look again for updates. Windows update then removes the update button.

Same it even took forever to get rid of 11 and now it wants to come back got to the point i had to go to bios to remove it
Just a heads-up - I removed our Tech Community email address from your post as people are mistakenly thinking they can email us about Windows 11 questions.

We will look into the nature of that Insider post you responded to, but please note to everyone that you should not email the Tech Community team for product questions. That's what the Tech Community website is for!
Of course, I understand, but this was the explanation that the address is only for the problems and principles of MTC. Wrote:
Strange - thank you for writing about it because this address is used to communicate only on issues related to this MTC site.
So this is a mistake that needs to be explained.
This also seems to be analyzable because it directs to the address of the e-mail to MTC
"While I was trying to opt-out of Insider, Microsoft wanted to ask my experience. I went thru the questionnaire to the end and submitted it. This was the response I received:

Your request failed. Please e-mail The Microsoft Tech Community and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 7CC187C8. Please also provide a summary of the steps you took which led to this error message"

Yes, we understand that links there because the survey is hosted on our site. We are looking into that.

However, we have received Windows 11 questions via our email because people found this thread and directly linked back to it when we asked how they got our email address and thought we were a support email (and probably saw your response with our email, which people may have misinterpreted), so that's why we removed the email address from your response.

Unfortunately, MTC is recommended by Microsoft support - especially for the Insider program as the right place to get help. It is often difficult or impossible.

Leave insider. (beta\dev)

There is a group policy settings "select target feature builds" enable it, and put 21H1 in the target box.

Then enable the diagnostic trick per a couple posts ago per Javve instructions.

Let it update and download all updates INCLUDING Windows 11. It will finish downloading the other updates way before Windows 11, so just ignore it and restart when others are finished.

Restart. Update again. Updates start installing for 21H1. Windows 11 still there but back at zero. Let other updates install.

Restart again. Update again. No more Windows 11 listed.

Now when\if a new target release comes out, change the group policy back to disabled and let it update normally and you will be taken out of the insider program completely. If it STILL pulls some old crap and tries to install W11, leave the policy enabled, and change your target build from 21H1 to whatever the newest is.

@TimmyP25 

Hello 

Thank you very much any suggestion is welcome - it helps others!

I do not leave the Insider program, but once again thank you and greet

Congratulations on your first post at MTC

I was having the same problem. Then I got an idea if you can't stop it make it incompatible and everything works fine even you get your win 10 updates. Simplest way to do is that turn off the tpm or ptt or any other named security technology without which win 11 can't install and you can always turn it back on if you are ready to install win 11. It will not affect your PC working either.
THANK YOU!!
Tried literally everything except GPEdit since I use Home edition, and yours is the only one that worked.

I originally downgraded back to windows 10 because 11 makes XLR microphones not function right, but every time I downgraded to 10, windows 11 instantly started downloading itself before I could even pause updates. So every time I downgraded, when I shut my computer off it was forcing windows 11 installation again. So tiresome.

Deleted that folder, restarted and it's gone thank you so much.

@davequail I installed Windows 11 and have tried to roll it back 4 times.  It keeps reinstalling itself.  I want to permanently stop this action.  Help please.

@kayMJ How much time has passed since the Windows 11 upgrade and your first attempt to roll back to Windows 10? Windows allows a grace period of 10 days, after which the Windows 10 installation will be automatically removed by Windows. 

If you have exceeded the 10-day limit, your only option is to do a new install of Windows 10. This will remove all your apps and data though, which would have to be reinstalled and restored, so make sure you have backups!

You will need to scroll down to: Create Windows 10 installation media on this page for instructions: Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

It’s been 3 days and I definitely don’t want windows 11. This is frustrating.
Hey I had this problem too. What you need to do is downgrade back to 10, then immediately navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

And delete it.

Then restart your computer.
It will stop windows 11 prompts.