my Windows 10 laptop keeps receiving Windows11 Insider Previews

Copper Contributor

I have an older laptop running Windows10-PRO (22H2 19045.3393, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0). 

On the Windows Update page it clearly says "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11".

For quite some time I had been running 'Insider preview builds', but then suddenly I was faced with getting update failures for Windows 11 Insider Preview. After a while I found a few posts (eg here ) that helped me to leave the insider program, and cleanup the downloaded installs.

I am not part of any insider program; I have used the policy editor to set the "Manage Preview builds" to 'Disabled'. On my MS account page I see "This email address is not registered as a Windows Insider."

Now, again I am receiving Windows11 Preview builds from Insider: eg  "Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22621.2338 (ni_release)"

I have (as before) stopped the update service, then deleted all files in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. Then after a reboot, the Win11 preview build is indeed gone, and I am again receiving the normal Win10 updates.

How can I permanently stop receiving Win11 updates ?

Should I note that it's quite strange to receive Win11 updates for a machine that cant even run it ..?!

thx, David

0 Replies