How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

Bronze Contributor

How to let windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons"?

1,318 Replies
This is misinformation, it's just not true, sorry. I have reported it as such, probably nothing will come of it but it's important to at least attempt to keep threads like this clear of nonsense

@MarcusD2125Thanks for that. The nonsense is that we even have to have this thread and that MS doesn't fix it. SMH

Why is this even still a thing??? This thread is nearly 2 years old. Cmon MS, this is killing my productivity when I have multiple windows of the same program open!!!!
I start already switched to Apple having an iMac and also installing Ubuntu on my old laptop of mine so the transition is ongoing. Slowly but surely probably in 1 one year, I will not use Windows anymore. Is not only the small things that affect users who really work and use WIn 11, is also the overheating which is part of Win 11.
We NEED this feature! I swear I need at job at Microsoft as a UX Designer so I can just do horrible work and get promoted.

@TINCEEA :face_with_tears_of_joy::face_with_tears_of_joy:

no idea why it will take them until the fall but at least it seems we'll get it back

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/03/16/windows-11s-never-combine-taskbar-icons-feature-is-coming-i...

@Dave_Kyndryl  

Do not share false information!

@Dave_Kyndryl 

This missing functionality is especially irritating when using Visual Studio.

How did Microsoft staff using Visual Studio let the OS out the door without it?

(suspect they've stuck with 10)

After 2 years they still didn't fix it??? I think everyone in microsoft is using mac os computers because they have no idea how cumbersome this is.
My theory is that they do this on purpose, then fix it sometime later in order to give a false sense of improvement of the OS, i mean, it really doesn't make sense to remove this when we already had it on previous OS's.
Agreed. I don't understand the lack of an OPTION. Collapsed program icons are less productive and the taskbar takes up more screen space.

@huali1405 

To configure the taskbar buttons in Windows 11 to "never combine," follow these steps:

1. Right-click on an empty space on the taskbar.
  2. Select "Taskbar settings" from the context menu.
  3. In the Taskbar settings window, scroll down to the "Combine taskbar buttons" section.
  4. Click on the dropdown menu next to "Taskbar button grouping" and select "Never."
  5. Close the Taskbar settings window.
Few trolls popping up on this these threads now, only one post to name, and its to wind people up by re-posting how win 10 worked.
Yep Jim each post listing w10 instructions has only one post each. Obviously some poor lonely friendless person suffering from small d!ck in hand syndrome.

Another one post only person with 'belladaines'. None of these option exsist. I would not click on the link at the bottom. Their post is only to drive traffic to that site, nothing else. Its either SEO or a risk.

There are two ways to let Windows 11 "never combine taskbar buttons":

1. **Using a third-party tool:** There are a number of third-party tools that can be used to change the behavior of the Windows 11 taskbar. One such tool is **Vive Tool**. Vive Tool can be used to enable the "never combine taskbar buttons" option. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Download and install Vive Tool.
2. Open Vive Tool.
3. Click on the "Taskbar" tab.
4. Check the box next to "Never combine taskbar buttons".
5. Click on the "Apply" button.

2. **Using the Windows 11 Insider Preview build:** Microsoft is currently testing a new feature in the Windows 11 Insider Preview build that allows users to "never combine taskbar buttons". To enable this feature, follow these steps:
1. Join the Windows 11 Insider Preview program.
2. Install the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview build.
3. Open the Taskbar settings.
4. Under "Taskbar behaviors", uncheck the box next to "Combine taskbar buttons".

Once you have enabled the "never combine taskbar buttons" option, the taskbar buttons will no longer be combined into a single button when multiple instances of the same app are open. Instead, each instance of the app will have its own button on the taskbar.

@jimvicks Probably the same Troll on all such posts.

Well, not having the "never combine taskbar" option has forced me to venture into territory outside of my comfort zone. My 3 year old computer's hard drive crashed for the 2nd time this year. I did not want to pay another $230 to have a tech replace it as I did in February. I agonized over the solution. I refuse to purchase a new computer because all of them have Windows 11 installed. I thought about a refurb, but all the ones I looked at, were older machines than the one I have now. So, I went to YouTube, found a video with instructions for upgrading my particular computer and decided I would try to install a new hard drive myself. I kept saying to myself, it's a doorstop now, how can I make it worse? I am happy to report that I was able to install a new hard drive successfully and install Windows 10. I may be using this computer for the rest of my life!