Latest Servicing Stack and Adding/Removing Roles Issue

Brass Contributor

I have recently encountered an issue trying to add or remove certain features to and from servers. It appears to have started after applying the February 2024 patches; I may have even narrowed it down to the latest servicing stack update, v10.0.17763.5441. After applying these updates, trying to install ADDS, DHCP and DNS services results in a failure every time with error 0x80073701. In addition, trying to remove these same services from other domain controllers that have the 2/2024 patches results in the same error. I am replacing Server 2016 domain controllers with Server 2019 DCs. It also fails trying to add the features via PowerShell. CBS log shows "no parent found, go absent" errors for KB5034768 and KB5014692.

I have tried uninstalling KB5034768 and then adding the roles, but I get the same error. Obviously, I am unable to uninstall the servicing stack and that's what leads me to believe it was that which started this. I had built and replaced about 8 other DCs without issue prior to this, but they had not first gotten the 2/2024 updates. I cannot find any information on the internet of others having this issue which is surprising to me. We are a VMware environment and I build servers from a template, and unfortunately, before the most recent build, when this started happening, I had refreshed the template with the 2/2024 patches. System File Checker wasn't much help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Replies