SOLVED

Storage Migration Service Error 36890

Copper Contributor

Hello

Really hoping someone can help, I have found similiar posts but they are much older and usually resolution has been to update Storage Migration Extension (I am using 4.1.0) I am receiving Error 36890 and gets stuck at loading once I reach the start the transfer stage (more details below)
Source Server is 2008 R2 and Destination is Server 2022 Standard, Current server is a DC but my understanding is I will need to demote before we start the cutover? (I did also remove AD and it didnt make any difference, so have restored AD/DC as I had to abort the migration)

Thanks in advance

02/03/2024-09:10:21.994 [Erro] GetTransferDeviceState request failed for job=Test error=36890: ErrorCode: 36890, Transfer was not run
at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.StorageMigrationService.GetTransferDeviceState(String jobName, Int32 maxCount, Byte[] nextToken) [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\StorageMigrationService.ITransfer.cs::GetTransferDeviceState::2187]

02/03/2024-09:10:21.995 [Erro] ExceptionMessage : (Transfer was not run), ExceptionToString: (ErrorCode: 36890, Transfer was not run
at Microsoft.StorageMigration.Service.StorageMigrationService.GetTransferDeviceState(String jobName, Int32 maxCount, Byte[] nextToken)
at SyncInvokeGetTransferDeviceState(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)) [d:\os\src\base\dms\service\ErrorHandlerBehaviorAttribute.cs::HandleError::37]

21 Replies

@Whytey88 I have the same problem.  Last week (Jan 31) I successfully migrated a 2008R2 file server.  This week, I can't transfer any data between servers--not even for jobs that existed before this problem started.  It all seems to work normally until I get to the Transfer Data > Start the Transfer page.  At that point, I just get a loading message and the spinning dots.

@smichaelCCISD 

Im glad its not just me having not used it before i assumed it was just me.

Ive tried recreating job and even try the process from a completely new server acting as a orchestra and still same.

Hopefully its something that can be patched?

I have the same problem. Does someone know how to handle it?
My source server is 2012R2 with all the latest updates installed, and the destination server is 2022, also updated. I made tests on VMs with the same OS versions a week ago and all goes fine. But now - got this error.

@Noisyboy 

Well that makes three of us, like you i have done some prep then testing and was ready to go.

I can only hope its sonething they patch soon otherwise im going to have to manual migrate

best response confirmed by Whytey88 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think I have a solution, temporary.

I managed to successfully proceed and transfer files.

I used the old version of the "Storage Migration Service" - v.2.44.0.

To do so:
- Connect to a server where WAC is installed via console (in my case destination server via IPMI);
- Uninstall WAC;
- Download the WAC installer;
- Disable internet access;
- Install WAC;
- Go to WAC settings -> Extensions -> disable
"Automatically update extensions";
- enable Internet;
- Proceed to the migration job.

Maybe this will work for you too, till all we're waiting to fix the issue in the latest version of the Storage Migration Service extension.
Same problem here - 36890 - we hope MS will fix it soon ;-(
Thanks Noisyboy it appears to work for me too :)
(I haven't set the transfer going but can now get to that stage) but does get me past the loading screen - looks like this might be the workaround until resolved
This workaround seems to be working for me too. Thanks!

@NoisyboyThanks so much, it works!

I shortcut this a bit. You can go into Settings > Extensions and uninstall the SMS extension. Then, when the screen comes back, install the old version that came during install (2.4.4 I think). It save all of my existing jobs and is running as it should now.

And thank you for this workaround. It was a huge help!

I'm glad I could help. The fact that you can get around this problem faster and with fewer steps. After all, not everyone can have access to the console.

Hi @Whytey88, thank you very much for bringing this issue up. I would like to confirm that I have brought this up with the relevant team and that they will be looking into it very soon.

@Noisyboy and @BaconIsYummy much appreciation for sharing a workaround! 

Edit: Adding bug number: 48988802

How long should this normally take to get the Start the transfer page loaded to know if we hit the bug? And if I just recently installed this with the latest WAC how do I get the old working Extension installed?

@JeremyShupick Sorry for the delay, in my case I have around 600GB and its pretty much instant.
I certainly wouldn't expect it to take anymore than a few minutes, I left it originally running for 30mins and thought something was wrong 6 hours later I realised it wasn't right so logged this issue!

I have also been experiencing this bug with a 2012 R2 Source Server. I raised my own ticket on the 5th February but have not had any progress so far. I saw that a new extension version 4.9.0 was released, (Friday?). But am yet to have confirmation that it fixes the issue or have yet to try myself with this new extension version.

@Whytey88 Thanks, I was able to downgrade to a previous version and was successful in getting the migrated over to the new server.

@Rebecca_Wambua 

Any update or response on this from the team?

While the workaround is great would be good to know if 4.9 works or is still to be addresses

Hi, yes. They notified me this work is scheduled to begin in the next sprint. I have no ETA and not sure how much time the fix will take, but I'll give a guesstimate of mid-April.
Hi, I believe the fix is in, please update to the latest extension and let me know if the issue is resolved on your end!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Whytey88 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I think I have a solution, temporary.

I managed to successfully proceed and transfer files.

I used the old version of the "Storage Migration Service" - v.2.44.0.

To do so:
- Connect to a server where WAC is installed via console (in my case destination server via IPMI);
- Uninstall WAC;
- Download the WAC installer;
- Disable internet access;
- Install WAC;
- Go to WAC settings -> Extensions -> disable
"Automatically update extensions";
- enable Internet;
- Proceed to the migration job.

Maybe this will work for you too, till all we're waiting to fix the issue in the latest version of the Storage Migration Service extension.

View solution in original post