SOLVED

Stream idea: Adapting maps (but not GMaps) for foldables and large screen devices using Compose

Iron Contributor

Hi team,

thanks to your fast answer to my last post, I know that the emulator does not support Google Play Services. That means Google Maps is not available using your emulator image. 

Due to this circumstance you want to cover the topic of how to embed, use and modify maps (but not GMaps) to get the best user experience on foldable or large screen devices incl. navigation and showing detail information for a tapped pin.

To be honest, the official Microsoft Bing Maps SDK is a little bit off and not helpful (only java, no birds-eyed tutorial, no compose, etc.).

If you think this is no topic you wanna cover - it's fine I just think it would a very helpful until the emulator supports GPS - or WSA supports it which will never happen because of the Amazon Store :)

2 Replies
best response confirmed by tscholze (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Tobias, thank you for the feedback!

We understand that maps are commonly used in applications and that it would be useful to know some alternatives to Google Maps. We'll take your suggestion into consideration, and as always, thanks for your continued engagement in our Surface Duo developer community :)

In the meantime, if you do end up using Bing Maps, you can check out our dual screen experience example for an example of how to use that SDK.

Wow, sorry for missing out on it!
That's awesome! I guess you can through my idea in thee bin because you already did it.

Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tscholze (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi Tobias, thank you for the feedback!

We understand that maps are commonly used in applications and that it would be useful to know some alternatives to Google Maps. We'll take your suggestion into consideration, and as always, thanks for your continued engagement in our Surface Duo developer community :)

In the meantime, if you do end up using Bing Maps, you can check out our dual screen experience example for an example of how to use that SDK.

View solution in original post