Keep Connected Objects when starting new session in MSSMS?

Copper Contributor

I am usually connected to one Object, which appears automatically whenever I start MSSMS, but recently I've started using a secondary Object. I can be connected to both in one session, and can run queries on either, but I lose one of them when I close the program.

The next time I start MSSMS again, only one of them will show up, and I have to re-connect to the other one.

Is there a way to make sure both Objects are connected to each time I start the program?

4 Replies
"Both objects"? Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with "objects" here? Object explorer or ..?

@olafhelper 

On the Objects Explorer, it shows which databases you're connected to. The censored one in the screenshot below.

It only keeps one connection after I close the program, whereas I routinely use two, so would like to keep both on program restart.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 091423.png

@Sevoris , that's the normal behaviour of SSMS, but for a quick access you can use Register Servers - SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) | Microsoft Learn

Hi,
you have to check that your instance is still in the system,
should expand '<browse for more>' in SSMS and expand 'database Engine' ;where might appear the instance you wanted.