Why do modern pages leave so much white space?

Iron Contributor

When using modern pages, there is always about 25% of the screen width that is unused on the right side.  Why won't any web parts extend further to the right and use that space?

ModernPageBlankSpace.png

22 Replies
I find the vertical white space more bothersome. The large spaces above and below web parts is hard to watch. Perhaps MS could use a feature similar to the "Compact" view of a list.

@JWLehman in my experience this could happen due to the monitor size or the display settings of the computer being used to view sharepoint. 

@Tom Castiglia You raised concerns about the excessive white space present on the sides of modern SharePoint pages, particularly in Team Sites. This issue has been a long-standing frustration for many users, as it can make pages appear unfinished or unprofessional, especially on larger screens or higher resolutions.

Despite its persistence, this behavior seems to be an intentional design choice by Microsoft, potentially aimed at improving readability or accommodating responsive design principles. However, I understand the limitations this design imposes, as it restricts the ability to fully utilize the available screen real estate, which could be beneficial for content that requires a wider layout.

While workarounds like adding vertical sections or using alternative layouts like Communication Sites have been suggested, these solutions may not be suitable for all use cases. To address this concern, I will initiate a comprehensive evaluation of our organization's specific requirements and usage scenarios for SharePoint. This evaluation will involve gathering feedback from stakeholders and end-users to understand the impact of the white space issue on their productivity and user experience.

Based on the findings, I will develop a plan of action that may include submitting a formal feature request to Microsoft, emphasizing the need for more flexible layout options or the ability to customize the content area width. Additionally, I will explore potential interim solutions, such as investigating third-party tools, custom CSS, or alternative platforms that offer greater control over content presentation. Throughout this process, I will maintain open communication with stakeholders and end-users, keeping them informed of the progress and any updates or recommendations from Microsoft.

If necessary, I will escalate the matter through appropriate channels to ensure our organization's needs are adequately addressed. Ultimately, my goal is to provide a SharePoint experience that maximizes productivity, visual appeal, and user satisfaction, while aligning with our organization's specific requirements and best practices. Rest assured, I am committed to finding a resolution that effectively addresses the white space issue and ensures our SharePoint environment meets the highest standards of usability and functionality.