Using Highlighted content which shows documents from  "All sites in the hub" is not showing anything

Iron Contributor

I create the following 4 SharePoint Online sites as follow:-

1) MainGroup site and i registered it as Hub.

2) Finance site and i registered it as Hub + i defined the MainGroup as the parent hub.

3) Operations site and i registered it as Hub + + i defined the MainGroup as the parent hub.

4) Sales site and i registered it as Hub + + i defined the MainGroup as the parent hub.

now inside the MainGroup site home page >> i added a highlighted content web part >> and i defined to show Documents from "All Sites in the hub', as follow:-

johnjohnPeter_0-1704228873980.png

but nothing were shown as follow:-

johnjohnPeter_1-1704228908670.png

any advice? is the issue that i have sites defined as hubs and at the same time i am linking them to a parent hub? or it is a time issue? keeping in mind that i created the sites before 2 hours and i link them together after that.. and i have added around 100 documents all over the 4 sites..

Any advice please?

Thanks

5 Replies

The “all sites in the hub” scope one only works with sites that are directly associated to the hub, not with hubs associated to the hub. Do each of these sites need to be hubs? While search will find content in “nested” hubs, the scope you are using for highlighted content will not include all the “nested” hubs. If you only need 4 sites, you could try de-registering the sites other than your MainGroup as a hub and instead, associate the other sites directly to the main hub. In that scenario, your scope should work. 

@Susan Hanley I do not want to show documents from nested hubs, i want to show the documents from the 3 sites; Finance, Operations & Sales sites which are directly linked to the MainGroup hub inside the highlighted content web part on the MainGroup home page..

I think the issue may be that these sites are also hubs. I am surprised that you were even able to do that! I didn’t think it was supported. Does the main site have to be a hub? Could you use an “all sites in the tenant” scope? Uiu may want to de-register the three sites as hubs and try your query again. 

@Susan Hanley me too i were surprised till lat week, this was not supported last year, but as if today you can link a hub site with another hub.. so what do you suggest? and yes the MainGroup has to be a hub so the child site share the same look and feel..

I would suggest re-thinking your IA. You can share the same look and feel in other ways and you can share navigation with global navigation. I often find that it is not necessary to make your home site a hub. If you need a specific search scope, you can also try creating a custom search experience with PnP search.