The minimum permission level that we can create that allows us to manage Site permissions

Brass Contributor

Hi SharePoint Users,

I need to create a custom permission level that allows a user to manage permissions to the site (add/remove users) but not give him access to customize a list form and such design capabilities.

The 'Full Control' permission level will allow the user to customize forms and pages.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

3 Replies
You can either create a custom permission role that has just the manage permission and make them owner of the SharePoint group they manage users for. Or change their permissions in the site pages and other libraries so they can only read. It depends whether they need most of the owner permissions but not edit pages or minimal additional permissions from a reader.
I would also create a SharePoint group that any role is associated with and add users there. You cannot change the role of the owners and members groups.

@kevingeorget thanks for posting this question. I working on the same issue today.

@Alan Marshall thanks for responding with the missing bit of information that I needed - "make them owner of the SharePoint group they manage users for".

Norm

@Norman Young Cheers.

@Alan Marshall Thanks for replying.

So here is my scenario.

I have site SiteA which has a list ListA.

ListA has unique permissions (breaking the inheritance from the site).

I want a ListA owner group that can manage the permissions of only this list and don't have the ability to see the PowerApps button or any other ability to modify the list.

If I create a Permission level with 'Manage Permissions...'  checked and leave 'Manage List...' unchecked. The Owner group users won't have the access to go to List settings page (to navigate to Permissions for this list) or click on the 'Share' link appearing on the List view.

The only option i have is to give both the above permission level to the Owner group.

Let me know if there is a workaround still.

Thanks,

Kevin