Sharepoint Worklows using APPSTEP stopped working

Copper Contributor

Hey.  We've had several workflows using the APPSTEP action.  Some have been running for years now without any hitch. But starting 17 March 2018, all these workflows got suspended and would not proceed past the AppStep action. 

It seems that the site feature "Workflows can use app permission" lost all permissions to perform any actions on the entire Office 365 tenant. 

appstep_issue.jpg

Were there any updates prior to these? We've already filed a service request through the admin dashboard.  No answers from them as usual.

Any inputs would be really great.

7 Replies
The same problem is happening from this morning with three tenants. I threw a service request to the Japanese support team.
Yep. We did too. After many 'one hours', no reply yet except canned autoresponder replies. Please do update this thread if they get back to you. Thanks be.

Wow, best thing you can do here is just what you did: open a support ticket...do you guys have a contract premier support for any of those tenants? By the way, tagging here some Microsoft folks that might help @Bill Baer @Dan Holme @Vesa Juvonen @AaronMi

Yes. There has to be a reason eh. At the moment, the only way to workaround this is to give involved user access to some restricted lists. Which would really mess our Access List.

Absent details, it's difficult from the thread to diagnose the issue.  I'll look across some of our teams and see if there were any recent changes that could potentially cause this behavior.

Hi @Bill Baer.  Thanks.  It's really very easy to replicate.  All it needs for the error to appear is to create a a list (List A) with simple workflow with a task inside an AppStep. The task should be as simple as writing to another list (LIST B). People who have access to LIST A should not have any access to LIST B. Then just run the workflow and it gets suspended on the AppStep.

We have already filed a service request. No reply so far.

Oh my lord! Suspended workflows have now resumed. Probably safe to say the issue has been resolved.

Still it would be really great to know what happened. Now the unanswered service requests can be answered with: Huh what error?

Hehehehe. Oh well. All's well that ends well.

Until the next time my friends.