SOLVED

SharePoint Page Template - Content Getting Overridden

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Looking for feedback from the community. I created a page template with some webparts. (Text, a document library, a Quick Link, Event and Person). I used this template to create pages for few projects. The issue is when I add/change/delete content from one of these pages webpart, the content gets added/changed/deleted from the other project pages as well. Is there a way to avoid this and have each page as an independent entity/page.

thank you for your feedback. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Ajay Mandal (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Are all of these pages on the same site and surfacing the same Document Library / Events web part / News web part / etc.? If so, the content is expected to change across all of the pages as the source of the content is the same. You can add new document libraries to your site to display on a new page, or you can add the same library to each page and adjust the web part to show different folders or views. For events, it will be the same on each page within a single site unless you utilize the Categories option and edit the web part on each page to show a specific category.

If I'm way off base, let me know and I'll see if I can still help.
Hi Kelly,
That is correct, I did not realize it, they are pointing to the same lists and libraries. Well on the other side then I guess page templates are of no use, if you cannot create distinct instance of each page. If I have to create individual list and libraries for each page, then the template is of no use. Any workarounds?
thanks for your feedback!
Page templates are great for layouts - if you wanted to have a consistent layout for say, Company News, New Hires, Anniversaries, etc. Even then, since folks can edit the layouts after the template has been applied, they're not really any sort of true control mechanism. You may need to have multiple sites, rather than just multiple pages/lists/libraries within a single site if you're trying to cover lots of different topics/departments. Then you could look at using Site Templates, where you can also create Lists: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/declarative-customization/site-design-overview#anat...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ajay Mandal (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Are all of these pages on the same site and surfacing the same Document Library / Events web part / News web part / etc.? If so, the content is expected to change across all of the pages as the source of the content is the same. You can add new document libraries to your site to display on a new page, or you can add the same library to each page and adjust the web part to show different folders or views. For events, it will be the same on each page within a single site unless you utilize the Categories option and edit the web part on each page to show a specific category.

If I'm way off base, let me know and I'll see if I can still help.

View solution in original post