SharePoint Online not crawling image columns

Copper Contributor

Hi all. I have a simple item list with a number of custom columns of differing types: single line of text, hyperlink, managed metadata, attachments and image.

I've filled out a few list items and let the crawler index the content and I've reindexed several times. Every single column except the Image column is being indexed. For some reason, Image simply will not show up in the crawled properties, no matter what I do. Is this a known limitation? I haven't been able to find anything specific about crawled properties and Image columns.

This is pretty limiting, unfortunately, because it's severely limiting how user-friendly the list is. I know I can use a hyperlink or picture column in place of the Image column, but the interface for it isn't what I was hoping for since the contributors are not very tech-savvy. 

3 Replies
Bummer, just came across this limitation as well.
Yeah, me as well. Isn't there anything you can do about this in the SPO Search?

Creating cross references to pictures is of course a solution in order to index this url but as already said... it's not very user friendly

@jclem1290 @Manuel Wick @Olf 

As per my research, Image columns are not yet supported in crawled properties and search. Few other users also faced the same problem, you can find the same in comments section of below article:

SharePoint Online: All you need to know about New Image column type 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.