SharePoint 2013 and searching external data via BCS

Copper Contributor

So I recently asked a question regarding SharePoint Search and the BCS. I'm basically indexing external data via the BCS Service App and the Search Service App. The indexing is finally working and results are being returned. Previously when I searched for a document in SharePoint, the results would point directly to that external system which has its own URL.

However, something changed and now the search results are pointing to the below address which takes me to the below screenshot... 

https://intranet.mydomain.org/sites/BCS/_bdc/external_data/docs_1.aspx?Id=245801

bcs.png

I'm not sure what changed but I did run cumulative updates a couple of weeks ago bringing me up to June 2017 CU. Could something have changed there?

When I look in the BCS Service App, I do see that the "Default Action" for that External Content Type matches the wrong URL (/sites/BCS/_bdc/...) above. I tried changing this but it does not appear to have reflected in the search results.

Very complicated question, but maybe the screenshot will be familiar to some here. Thanks!

2 Replies

Going to bump this one. Anyone recognize why these external data search results take me to a BCS site collection instead of to the external data result?

I'll update this...

It looks like the problem had to do with a "Default Action" that was somehow added to the External Content Type within the BCS Service Application. I'm not sure how this was added, but I think it had to dow with the "Enable Profile Page" creation section. That screenshot I posted was (I believe) the "profile page" for the External Content Type. I re-imported the BDC Model File and the problem looks to be resolved.