Please help! ALL Modern pages impacted | SharePoint spacing issue

Brass Contributor

There have been spacing issues happening tenant-wide on all modern pages since yesterday. Not sure if Microsoft released a CSS patch?

Looks fine in Edit mode but all content gets squished together after publishing. Please refer to the attachments to see the issue.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

74 Replies

Just to update on this, I've completed the attached business impact statement as part of the support incident. The scenario and document are now with the product group for consideration 🤞🏻

@James Mountford 

We have exactly the same issue: excessive line height above the first item in a bulleted list, and not enough line height under the last item in a bulleted list (before a new paragraph).

Our sites are almost unreadable and impossible to layout. We are getting the runaround from Microsoft Support. They have said:

"Based on the update received this is a default behavior which they intended to change and after raising multiple request to our team they confirmed that the behavior is by design as of now."

Totally unacceptable.

@John Sanders @Bruno Aleixo @Mark Kashman 

The example you have provided that you present as the 'fixed' version of spacing does not match the actual spacing we are seeing all over our SharePoint Online tenant.

> If the fix somehow introduced some other spacing oddness, we're unaware of, please let us know.

This is me letting you know that what you present doesn't match what we're seeing and that we're still seeing 'spacing oddness' that needs to be addressed.

@James Mountfordand others have already provided plenty of examples of this but it appears that no one is listening. (Thanks James for sharing the Business Impact Statement earlier)

This is the latest response we provided this morning in regard to our incident raised with MS after being told that everything is by design:

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 09.44.08.png

And just to update, the business impact statement route appears to have helped. I received this from the support team today:

I'm glad to say our team has already coded a fix for the inconsistent spacing between paragraph and bulleted lists. Right now our team is spending some time testing the changes and ensuring there will be no collateral effects before make the change public worldwide. I will update you as soon as the change is ready for the public.

So watch this space! 🤞🏻

@James Mountford 

Success (almost ;))

We too had been through the 'process' of raising a design change to get this fixed. After much chasing down of generic responses we had finally got a response along similar lines this week - that a fix was on its way. Let's hope it is swift (and doesn't break something else).

@James Mountford 

Very happy to hear that.

Let's hope the fix comes through. I am receiving a different response from my interactions with Microsoft Support, so it doesn't appear that they are all working together on this. 

The response I received this morning is: 'we have tested the behavior on multiple tenants and have shared the information to our Product Group team.' And that they are still calling it a 'by design behavior and would not be reverted'. 

Perhaps your support crew are going to be the most helpful? Anything to get this fixed (again - ref: Nov 2020!)

If people have access to message centre check out MC283569 (New Feature: Improvements to the Text web part for SharePoint pages and news), which finally contains the confirmed news we've been waiting for in red :happyface:

We’re adding the ability to paste inline images into the Text web part so that images can be closer to text and so that text can wrap around images.

We’re also addressing feedback to reduce line spacing in text.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 85584

When this will happen:

We expect to begin this rollout to Targeted Release customers starting in mid to late September and expect to complete the rollout to all customers by early October.

How this will affect your organization:

Authors of SharePoint pages and news will be able to paste images into the Text web part and align the images to the left, right, or center with text wrapping.

We’re also addressing feedback on the text line spacing by reducing the line spacing size between header and body text, and in between bullets points.

View image in new tab

What you need to do to prepare:

You do not need to do anything to prepare for this update, but you may want to let your users know about these improvements.

This is great news! Thanks for the notice James, it is definitely appreciated.
YAY! My tenant seems to have finally received a fix for this awfulness. SO HAPPY!

@Joni_Kirk 

Has anyone received an update that they think actually fixes the issue - properly- though?

We have been told that the fix is now with us, but our bulleted and numbered lists remain broken - 

• there is (usually) no padding at the start of them
  • we are seeing big inconsistency whatever fix has deemed to have been applied

This applies to existing and new pages.

We have shared many examples of it still being wrong and here's one of the best (worst) examples:

ChrisC303_1-1634283657795.png

No 'space' is being added/deleted here - this is the spacing we have around bullets as entered correctly in the text webpart... which MS are actually telling us is their 'design choice'.

I had a fairly crushing call with them yesterday where we told that it was a design choice the SPO team have taken, the result of which is something like:

"...as bullet points are part of the paragraph of text they are in, there should be no spacing after the preceeding line of text....but there is space at the end of the list"

This style choice is both wrong and indeed out of sync with not only every other MS application but also every other website on the internet we can find

Our MS support guys (who have been great by the way and done all they can for us within constraints of the MS customer support model) seem to agree with the evidence we present them but can do nothing as its the design teams choice. They have actually advised us to start hacking at it to add extra line breaks etc where we show them its wrong.

We have to raise another ticket to continue get this issue investigated - both from the point of view of it being wrong, but also that even if we agreed the style choice was right, the behavior in our tenant is inconsistent. 

So essentially ... 6 months and counting after raising an issue which we thought would be a 'known issue', going through the 'design change request process' for what is essentially a line or 2 of broken CSS code....we still have no resolve.

Interested to hear other other thoughts on this and if you could share screenshots of your bullets on a SharePoint page shown well and consistently that would be great.

We haven't seen any changes on our intranet yet. Hoping to see the updates any day now...
We've been informed the change that had been released has now been rolled back due to pre-October 13th to issues. I think this confirms what I thought I noticed, those being:

- a change to space around headings
- no change to bullets

We are now back to odd spacing around headings and the same issues around bullets.

I guess there is a chance that the fixes that were applied and then rolled back at some point did fix bullets, but the fix wasn't around long enough to be noticed.

However, our last conversation with MS as noted above seems to confirm that the spacing issues we see are a 'design' choice.
I'm frustrated beyond belief, particularly as my support ticket was closed (so wouldn't expect any notification of a rollback) and both the related roadmap and message centre items state it should have rolled out by now. I've gone back to my support ticket contact asking for an update.

@James Mountford 

Indeed - if ever there was a case study needed on how broken the M365 customer support model and update/release process is, I feel this is the one that should be used. The frustration is immense.

So this still is an issue. We got to the point where MS said at one point that 'its a styling choice we made as bullets are part of the same paragraph' but then changed that to 'we agree a fix is required', messed the fix up and then said 'we are leaving as they are as the risk of trying to fix what we broke is too great'. I paraphrase, but only slightly. So after pretty much 9 months of back and forth on this. no resolve and bullets and numbered lists remain broken.

We now fix this by adding a line break preceeding any bullet/numbered list, an astonishing thing to be advised is the 'workaround' by MS and crazy that is what we have to do to get a some padding at the start of a bulleted list.

...and that's before we even get to the general state of bullet styling (seems that all padding on bullet lines is now lost) but have lost the will to go there.

On another note, we've just had to complete the fabled 'Business Impact form' for another issue - aka the worst Word document/form in the world :) Why does MS continue to use rubbish word documents for forms, with no attempt all at making it an actual 'form'. Its such a bad look.

If anyone from Microsoft actually looks at this, would love to know their take on it.