SOLVED

Notification when external user accepts sharing invitation

Iron Contributor

Dear all,

Wondering if its possbile to receive a notification when an external user accepts the inital sharing request?

The scenario is that we would like to give external user read-only permissions on a document library. 

Currently we 1st share (view permission) a document within the library with the user. Once the user has accepted and logged in we can then add them to a group for that library e.g. read only group. 

Of course we can't add them to the group (please correct me if I am wrong) until they have accepted the inital request. 

So it would be nice to get a notification on the inital request so we can then add to the group.

Advise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

26 Replies
Hi Stephen, this doesn't seem to work for us at this point... in fact, when I try to share with someone external who doesn't have a Microsoft account (ie. a gmail mail address), all I get to is the new login experience… there is no suggestion to create a Microsoft account or anything like that - and since I don't have a Microsoft account as that user, I get nowhere… Is this a known problem?

Hi Allan,

With the new external sharing flow, you don't need to create a Microsoft account to access the content. Instead you just need to verify that you own the e-mail address by entering the verification code. There should be no need to sign-in or sign-up for an account. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Thank you, yes, I have been looking forward to that feature. But right now I am not being offered to enter such a code. I only see a box where I have to enter a username or mail address for a Microsoft account, which does not exist for said Gmail address... So as an external user I would be stuck...

Hi @Allan With Sørensen,

Can you show me screenshots of how you are repro'ing this? Sharing dialog settings? As well as the e-mail enter page? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Certainly! And thank you for listening :)

1. These are the sharing settings. Apologies for it being in Danish. But as you can see, I have shared it with a Gmail mail address.

firefox_2018-02-09_07-21-31.png

2. This is what I see from the Gmail client, at which point I click the included link:

chrome_2018-02-09_07-22-16.png

3. Finally, this is what I see, when I try to click the link from the email. As you can see, it doesn't ask me to enter in any code or even offer to create a new Microsoft account, as it used to. Obviously I could go create a Microsoft account some other way, but that would not be the most intuitive reaction for most users.

chrome_2018-02-09_07-23-15.png

Hi@Stephen Rice . Are there plans for the same feature be included in sharepoint document libraries?

thank you!

Alisson

Hi @araujotech,

This is something we've talked about but don't have any plans to share just yet. Definitely submit this over at onedrive.uservoice.com though as this helps us prioritize what collab features we work on next! Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive