SOLVED

MS Teams and Private Channels content discoverability with Content Search

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if the Compliance Centre's Content Search can also look at content stored in Private Channels in Teams

I think it should but I've never been able to put this to the test. Has someone already tried doing a Content Search before? Did it cover Private Channel content?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by KyleOliq (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @KyleOliq,

Microsoft Compliance Centre's Content Search feature can be used to examine content stored in Private Channels within Microsoft Teams.

To use a content search for a private channel, it's necessary to search across the entire team, the site collection linked to the private channel (for file inclusion), and the mailboxes of private channel members (to encompass messages).

To locate content from a Teams private channel during an eDiscovery search, ensure you include the following search locations in your eDiscovery case:

• SharePoint site associated with the private channel's site collection. This is where files from private channels are stored.

It's important to note that Teams doesn't support content search for an individual channel, so the entire team must be included in the search.

Use Content Search in Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn
Discoverability of private teams - Microsoft Community

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KyleOliq (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @KyleOliq,

Microsoft Compliance Centre's Content Search feature can be used to examine content stored in Private Channels within Microsoft Teams.

To use a content search for a private channel, it's necessary to search across the entire team, the site collection linked to the private channel (for file inclusion), and the mailboxes of private channel members (to encompass messages).

To locate content from a Teams private channel during an eDiscovery search, ensure you include the following search locations in your eDiscovery case:

• SharePoint site associated with the private channel's site collection. This is where files from private channels are stored.

It's important to note that Teams doesn't support content search for an individual channel, so the entire team must be included in the search.

Use Content Search in Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn
Discoverability of private teams - Microsoft Community

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

View solution in original post