'Modernizing' a list previously created from Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone

We are going through a process of recreating some of our classic publishing pages in the new Modern UI.  We seem to be at a point where we can do everything we need on the Modern UI pages apart from one thing.

We have a list that was originally created using the Excel export to SharePoint feature detailed here.  We now want to display this list in the new list web part on a modern page but it doesn't appear and I assume it's because it was initially created using Excel?  The default view for this list is no longer the datasheet view but I assume that the way it was created from Excel means that SharePoint sees it as something other than a standard list?

My question is whether anyone knows any way of converting this list into a modern list format so it can be displayed in the modern list web part?  The only way I can see of doing this at the moment is to manually recreate the list and then copy the content into the new list using ShareGate.  However, there are quite a lot of fields in the list so if possible I don't want to have to do this.

I'd be grateful for any advice or experience on this anyone has to share?

Thanks in advance.

0 Replies